Shaving musts

R181

Grumpy old man
MWF is a fine soap when it works and some people do have a problem lathering it. I find Hasliger's Schafmilch to be as good and lathers much more easily with the same post shave feel. I'd put it on a must try list.

Bob

pjgh

Forum GOD!
British Gillette Tech from the '40s
British 1912
Brut, Old Spice, Jovan Musk & Tabac
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
MWF
Semogue Boar
YSL Kouros
Pinaud Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic
Pashana

mike_the_kraken

Señor member
I tried valobra after much ado. Thankfully, a sample from shavedash, not a whole puck. It was... ok? Can’t understand the raving, certainly don’t consider it a must try. That said, hard to imagine many soaps that are universally loved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haslinger though... what a surprise! Beautiful, easy lather.

I tried valobra after much ado. Thankfully, a sample from shavedash, not a whole puck. It was... ok? Can’t understand the raving, certainly don’t consider it a must try. That said, hard to imagine many soaps that are universally loved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haslinger though... what a surprise! Beautiful, easy lather.
Haslinger is great though I didn't put it s a must as it is/has undergone reformulation and I haven't tried the "new" formula. But I am surprised you you didn't rate the mighty V. :eek::scratchhead:(the mighty V2 would be Vitos Red haha)
To be fair the soft soap isn't anything special,but I find the hard soap to be supreme. I guess it's a big YMMV in this hobby haha

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Everyone should try and complete a full shave with a Feather AC razor, I think many people would be pleasantly surprised, a stepping stone to straight razors.
+1

It's a lot easier than you might think.

EDIT:. Forgot to add, it doesn't have to be an expensive Feather AC. You can pick up a a CJB or Sam Seong Kamisori for about £25. They take the same Feather AC blades.

Don't bother with the shavettes that take half de blades, they are bollocks.

Last edited:

Eighteen12

Forum GOD!
I don't have that much stuff but easily the best buy I've made would be my adjustable razors. I'd say everybody should try out either the Gillette Fatboy or Merkur Progress. It's very personal which settings you select, of course, but I do my first pass more aggressive and then tone it back for the second pass and touch-ups. It's especially useful if I have an extra day's growth.

I always kept reading about and seeing Feather blades everywhere so surely everyone has the try these out at some point too! I have and they're not for me but I appreciate some people love them.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I think every enthusiast or shaving 'purist' should try both Speick soap and aftershave in unison, at least once. Scent is above average nothing overly spectacular. Performance and skin conditioning is fantastic. Speick plant should be used in more products IMO.