Shaving in hot & humid climate

maxbirsa

Dears,

I am living in Panama City (Panama, not the city in Florida) and the climate here is humid or very humid and hot, all year long.
Of course this lead to a strong dependency of AC: at work, at mall, and at home , especially during night time.
As a side effect, this is making my lips and face skin drier than normally, and of course I shave in the morning so I have an extra challenge.
I partially solved this by allowing a bit longer time to wash my face with hot water before indulging in a longer lathering directly on my face.
Any of you living in similar climate and experiencing similar challenge?

R181

Grumpy old man
I don't live in a similar climate but living where it is cold in the winter, so the heating is on to keep things warm, can also have the effect of drying your skin out. A moisturizing lotion/cream used regularly should help to alleviate the problem.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I’ve lived in a similar climate in Hong Kong and Houston, Texas, but I don’t recall my skin being particularly dry because of the AC. I live in Canada now and find my skin does become dry and itchy during the winter because the air is drier and the indoor heating makes it even drier. Nevertheless, I don’t find it necessary to use a moisturiser.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes, I have not had problems with the AC drying my shin out either. Also try not using aftershaves with alcohol in them.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I’ve lived in a similar climate in Hong Kong and Houston, Texas, but I don’t recall my skin being particularly dry because of the AC. I live in Canada now and find my skin does become dry and itchy during the winter because the air is drier and the indoor heating makes it even drier. Nevertheless, I don’t find it necessary to use a moisturiser.
I should add that our house in Hong Kong was not fully air-conditioned. We used dehumidifiers and fans for the most part except in the bedrooms, which had individual air-conditioning units. Because the bathrooms weren’t air-conditioned, I found that I could only shave comfortably if I used cold water. Nevertheless, my office was air-conditioned as was my car. In Houston, however, absolutely every building, vehicle, etc was air-conditioned, and most excessively so.

maxbirsa

I should add that our house in Hong Kong was not fully air-conditioned. We used dehumidifiers and fans for the most part except in the bedrooms, which had individual air-conditioning units. Because the bathrooms weren’t air-conditioned, I found that I could only shave comfortably if I used cold water. Nevertheless, my office was air-conditioned as was my car. In Houston, however, absolutely every building, vehicle, etc was air-conditioned, and most excessively so.
Hong Kong climate is definitely similar to Panama City. I will give it a try with cold water too, however in general I am suffering a bit of dryness because of the AC during the sleep.