Nikon DSLR Lenses

Nisse

Old geezer
As a true gear head I focused on "pro" stuff like 80-200 2.8, optical quality is great and so is build but it is also big and heavy, a good choice for assignements but not as a carry around lens.

AlexNoodles

Forum GOD!
+1 on UV filters as protection for the actual lenses, I have these on all my lenses that can take them.

as nice as the kit lens is, you'll benefit from some reach until you figure out what you like shooting.
One of the first lenses I bought for my then d3300 was a walk around 18-200mm Sigma lens which gave me enough reach most of the time, and yet is small, compact and cheap enough to not break your back & bank. It allowed me to alway have the camera on me and just go out and shoot, everything, just to get to know the camera and find out what I liked shooting.

After I found what I liked to shoot (birds/wildlife/planes/Astrophotography)) I then upgraded to a d7100 (with a few lenses) and now use a d500.
Since the d500 my focus has shifted to higher end glass (cue being poor and not able to afford new razors, lol), but at least now I know why I want/need that specific glass :)

In short, get out and shoot a lot, A LOT, if you want a longer reach now I'd really recommend a walkabout 18-200mm, less faffing about than the kit lens and a 70-300 you have to carry around
but yea, shoot, shoot a lot! :)

my £0.02

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
A focal length of 80 to 120 is better than a nifty-fifty for portraiture. Lots of photographer use a 70-200mm for this purpose.
I imagine a 70-200 lens that is fast enough for bokeh is a large pile of £££! :happy:

R181

Grumpy old man
Keep in mind that "bokeh" is a quality that results from lens design and lens coatings used and not so much from lens speed or focal length in how it renders out of focus,OOF, areas of the photograph.

Bob

Rob99

Forum GOD!
It’s also the question what you would like to photograph

Are you into portrets, look for a 85mm or a 135mm.
is it landscapes, invest in a wide, like 20-35 or a 24, 28 mm.

The 50mm you’re mentioned is still a great alround lens. Take only a little distance with a portrait. And the crop it afterwards.

the 1.4 and the 2,8 range are beautifull to work with.