Learning to shave with the Feather Artist Club

wintoid

Out of control
Simon, I hadn‘t come across the Paradigm before but noted your comments. Can I ask which model you have and whether you have any other SE razor to compare against. I have the Mongoose, Razorock and Colonel so if you can provide comparisons against these it would be ideal.
Hi Rob,

I think there's only one Paradigm SE, so far as I know. I bought it originally when it came out and found it too mild and sold it on. I subsequently repurchased it, intending to give it as a gift to my brother, and ended up falling in love with it and keeping it for myself! #greedy

Talking only about Feather AC SE razors, I've used the Mongoose (sold) and alumiGoose v1 (sold) and have a Razorock Hawk A plate, and Generals in aluminium and stainless. I've still got several Executive Shaving Claymores (v1 and v3), and the Enoch and HIRAM from Classic Shaving. I sold the Blackland Vector. So I have a reasonable amount of experience with other AC SEs.

There are a few reasons why I reach for the Paradigm first. The first reason is that it loves to go ATG, with minimal scrapey feeling. I pretty much always do 3x ATG passes with the Paradigm. The second reason is I like the blade loading system better than the others. The Hawk is an absolutely superb razor, but I hate loading it. The third reason is that the polished titanium of the Paradigm feels almost naturally slippy and smooth, it's just luxury. Finally, the Paradigm SE is the only SE I would ever use for the fool's pass (under the nose, south-to-north). I just never feel like I can hurt myself with it, no matter how hard I try, and the shave is effortlessly close.

If my house was burgled and my razors stolen, I'd probably buy a Razorock Hawk A plate to tide me over until I could find another Paradigm.

I don't know how much that helps, as it's kind of personal. I would say that the challenges with the Paradigm have been getting right into the corners under my nose (which I do by going east-to-west and west-to-east usually). Practically all issues can be solved with the Paradigm by just "going for it" a bit more aggressively than you would with another razor. It's really a kitten.

I used to say I preferred the Feather Super blade in the Paradigm, but nowadays I really have no blade preference. It just works well with anything. I'm forever wondering why I use anything else.

wintoid

Out of control
P.S. I've always wanted to try the Asylum SE but never found one in the UK at a price I was prepared to pay. My interest in buying shaving stuff has waned now, so I'm unlikely to explore this ever.

MrK1

Forum GOD!
P.S. I've always wanted to try the Asylum SE but never found one in the UK at a price I was prepared to pay. My interest in buying shaving stuff has waned now, so I'm unlikely to explore this ever.
From personal experience, you are not missing out on anything by not trying the Asylum SE.
It is a very aggressive razor.