It can get confusing

R181

Grumpy old man
As the title says, it can get a bit confusing especially for beginners. I don't like to see how terms like face lathering and bowl/scuttle lathering get muddled up. Yes, I am a bit anal retentive in that respect. You are doing one or the other.

In face lathering you load the brush with shave soap/cream, and actually make the lather you will shave with on your face. In bowl/scuttle lathering you load the brush with shave soap/cream, make the lather you will shave with in a bowl/scuttle and apply that lather to your face.

I am sure there are other terms that get conflated too.

Bob the cranky old bugger

100% Face lathering lunatic here here on account of covering my ugly mug as fast as possible in case I catch too much of a glimpse in the mirror and start screaming/weeping.
No in truth I prefer it though that said, there are some beautiful looking scuttles out there..and if I start bowl/scuttle lathering now at this late stage I could be tentatively on my way to another acquisition disorder.
Here's a weird one though..my old man used to sink lather (when using creams that is) anyone do that or ever heard of that?

pimple8

Forum GOD!
100% Face lathering lunatic here here on account of covering my ugly mug as fast as possible in case I catch too much of a glimpse in the mirror and start screaming/weeping.
No in truth I prefer it though that said, there are some beautiful looking scuttles out there..and if I start bowl/scuttle lathering now at this late stage I could be tentatively on my way to another acquisition disorder.
Here's a weird one though..my old man used to sink lather (when using creams that is) anyone do that or ever heard of that?
Sink lathering ermmm no.

But interesting use of the word MUG.

You can say mug lather and mean face lather and bowl lather. :)

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

R181

Grumpy old man
Ha, no. I very liberally load and build/apply lather through face lathering. I meant it like:

slather: spread or smear (a substance) thickly or liberally.
OK, I get your drift now. You could also bowl/scuttle lather and apply that lather to your face by slathering it on. Back to the key difference which is where you actually make the end use lather. That is why I asked.

Bob

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
I'm probably missing out on a great experience but I've been using soap and a brush since 1974 and I've never made lather in a bowl. My experience has been making lather on a hard puck in a mug, and then finishing it on my face; or I rub a soap stick on my face and make lather; or I squeeze a little cream into a wet brush and face lather. A bowl would just be one more fragile item in an already overcrowded and disorganised bathroom.