I can't message you @nishy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wickham-Soap-Co

Happy Shaving!
Hi @Nishy I can't message you. I wanted to ask if you can invoice me with payment details for vendor status for this account please. My email is the one I have linked to this account, if you could send it there I will get that paid.

Thank you. :okay:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks Darron, funds received. Only one issue left in that forum rules don't allow for 2 accounts per member. So becoming a vendor I would assume this is the account you wish to keep? In which case we would need to disable the general member account for yourself.

halvor

a most elusive fish
If I may, and since this is visible to all: as long as he keeps them apart and doesn’t promote etc using his personal account, why not allow both? Rules are rules, I know, but there are words in existence such as exceptions, amendments, revisions, and so forth, all frequently used and employed. Provided the member/vendor wants both.

A discussion and decision for admin and mods to make, obviously, so I’ll stop here.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
If I may, and since this is visible to all: as long as he keeps them apart and doesn’t promote etc using his personal account, why not allow both? Rules are rules, I know, but there are words in existence such as exceptions, amendments, revisions, and so forth, all frequently used and employed. Provided the member/vendor wants both.

A discussion and decision for admin and mods to make, obviously, so I’ll stop here.
The current rule is sound; a clear boundary between vendors and members mitigates obvious conflicts of interest. The soap threads in particular demonstrate this. A transparent boundary between vendor and member enables members to differentiate between an opinion and someone promoting their business - this is particularly important for new members.

halvor

a most elusive fish
The current rule is sound; a clear boundary between vendors and members mitigates obvious conflicts of interest. The soap threads in particular demonstrate this. A transparent boundary between vendor and member enables members to differentiate between an opinion and someone promoting their business - this is particularly important for new members.
I said I’d stop, but have to respond. Sorry, mods. Close it if you like. I’ll stop now, promise.

I agree on principled grounds, but there’s a distinction to be made between vendors and paying vendors, and there’s no requirement for any maker of soap or brushes or what have you to be a paying vendor and get the vendor badge on his or her profile. A second, personal profile can easily be made as transparent as the other by adding a note in the signature? (Might be cumbersome for the individual in question to log in and out or use two browsers/sessions, but that’s another matter.) Darron has never been less than transparent as far as the posts I have seen go, with his current ‘member’ account, not a vendor in formal terms. Now opting for a paying account presumably indicates that he assumes this to be an advantage for him as a vendor, and he likely also sees that he helps out ATG. So win-win.

Moreover, a dubious vendor/artisan can easily set up fake/shilling accounts to circumvent above mentioned clear boundary. If he or she so wishes. Examples from forums show what this may result in, but still.

There are issues with both approaches to this and will certainly respect whatever is decided. Status of presumption/status quo is no argument in itself, just wanted to make that clear.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I said I’d stop, but have to respond. Sorry, mods. Close it if you like. I’ll stop now, promise.

I agree on principled grounds...
And that is the crux of the matter; reasonable, principled rules, have already been established, too differentiate between a vendor and a member.

It should be crystal clear to members who is a vendor and who is a member.

I am not sure why you are advocating for a rule change to allow a vendor to have dual membership?' how will this safeguard forum members in the future?

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Thanks Darron, funds received. Only one issue left in that forum rules don't allow for 2 accounts per member. So becoming a vendor I would assume this is the account you wish to keep? In which case we would need to disable the general member account for yourself.
Darron and Wickham Soap Co. Ltd. are two legal entities/persons in their own right, independent of each other.
They are therefore two members with one account each.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Darron and Wickham Soap Co. Ltd. are two legal entities/persons in their own right, independent of each other.
They are therefore two members with one account each.
Asserting that Darron and Wickham Soap Co. Ltd are "independent of each other" in the context of a wet shaving forum where members discuss shaving soaps, is fatuous. A current member is actively promoting his business on the forum - selling soap.

Status
Not open for further replies.