Crabtree & Evelyn. Which one used to be your favourite?

Mastropiero

Forum GOD!
Without being a huge fan of the brand, I did own - and finish - one of the best scented after shaves I've ever used, the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood. I liked it so, so much, I didn't even hesitate in buying the Indian Sandalwood balm once I had finished the first one.

Much to my desmay, the scent wasn't nowhere near as good as the one I first had, although it is still a brilliant balm.

However, one thing that always made me have a look at every product of theirs was the packaging and the designs, I always thought they had some of the nicest looking shaving products.

A while ago I got my hands on a NOS Mysore Sandalwood soap, complete with its wooden bowl and original packaging, an absolute thing of beauty. The scent was still amazing, even after so many years. I only used it once, I decided to donate it for an auction last year, but that soap made me think this brand really had something special.

Unfortunately, they went belly up a few years ago, and their stuff is hard to come by, even on BTS forums.

A few weeks ago, in a local shop, I found a refill puck of their West Indian Limes soap. I used it today and I was really surprised, the performance is remarkable. Sadly, the scent is largely gone, although it does seem very nice.

So, it got me thinking, did you/do you guys still use C&E stuff? If so, which one is, or used to be your favourite?

R181

Grumpy old man
I think they killed themselves off by having multiple reformulations of their shave soaps. The original formula were very good, but the remakes fell short before that was corrected just before they went bye bye.

I tried an original formula C&E Moroccan Myrrh which performed very well, and the scent was excellent. I got another puck only to find the performance was poor and the scent was still pretty good. Turns out the second puck had a different formula, so I gave up on C&E stuff. Still wish I could buy the original formula puck soap.

Bob

Last edited:

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Never used their shaving soaps, but a few years ago found a jar of Indian Sandalwood cream which I still have.
I loved the West Indian Limes Cologne. Had remarkable longevity for a citrus scent.

Pedigree

Forum GOD!
Without being a huge fan of the brand, I did own - and finish - one of the best scented after shaves I've ever used, the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood. I liked it so, so much, I didn't even hesitate in buying the Indian Sandalwood balm once I had finished the first one.

Much to my desmay, the scent wasn't nowhere near as good as the one I first had, although it is still a brilliant balm.

However, one thing that always made me have a look at every product of theirs was the packaging and the designs, I always thought they had some of the nicest looking shaving products.

A while ago I got my hands on a NOS Mysore Sandalwood soap, complete with its wooden bowl and original packaging, an absolute thing of beauty. The scent was still amazing, even after so many years. I only used it once, I decided to donate it for an auction last year, but that soap made me think this brand really had something special.

Unfortunately, they went belly up a few years ago, and their stuff is hard to come by, even on BTS forums.

A few weeks ago, in a local shop, I found a refill puck of their West Indian Limes soap. I used it today and I was really surprised, the performance is remarkable. Sadly, the scent is largely gone, although it does seem very nice.

So, it got me thinking, did you/do you guys still use C&E stuff? If so, which one is, or used to be your favourite?
Can you describe the scent of their Sandalwood?

Mastropiero

Forum GOD!
Sincerely? You're better off asking a street lamp than me, I have virtually no idea when it comes to describing scents, but I can definitely say it smelt "woody", nothing else. For instance, their Indian Sandalwood has a touch of citrus that I don't care much for, this wasn't the case with their Sandalwood. I am sorry I cannot be of more help.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Were there two different C&E sandalwoods, Sandalwood and Indian Sandalwood?
I, too, am useless at describing scents. Four or five years ago when Heather rebranded to Zingari Man, there was a soap called The Tribe which had remarkable similarity to C&E Indian Sandalwood. That was an amber, spicy, sandalwood. I remember commenting here at the time how close they were.

Mastropiero

Forum GOD!
Were there two different C&E sandalwoods, Sandalwood and Indian Sandalwood?
I, too, am useless at describing scents. Four or five years ago when Heather rebranded to Zingari Man, there was a soap called The Tribe which had remarkable similarity to C&E Indian Sandalwood. That was an amber, spicy, sandalwood. I remember commenting here at the time how close they were.

Apologies for the late reply, indeed, there were two different scents or, rather, Indian Sandalwood was a reformulation of the Sandalwood I first bought. I suppose I could try to dig into the www and find the relevant info but, quite frankly, I can't be bothered. I know I had a Sandalwood balm and then, when I finished it, I ordered the Indian Sandalwood, because it was the only one I could find. Same bottle, same fonts although in slightly different colours.

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I used their Sienna shaving cream for many years. Unfortunately, availability gradually dried up and all their stores were closed.

Shaun2

Forum GOD!
I have some Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood soap, but it doesn't smell like sandalwood to me. Not in the slightest. It does, however, smell distinctly, and strongly, of violets. There is no mistaking the packaging either, both the box and the wrapper (now lost). Great soap, but it does not smell at all of sandalwood.