Zero feedback shave frequency

mar

Forum GOD!
There are times where I get zero sting from alum or aftershave after the shave, and others where I get a slight sting (I exclude difficult spots or times where I get high sting due to overbuffing or bad technique as that’s not the point of this thread - assume for this thread that you get a well performed shave from your part with proper preparation, blade and lather). So my question is whether it is feasible to always get zero sting, or whether even with perfect technique , preparation and lather it is inevitable for you that occasionally you get some. If so, what percentage would you say you achieve a zero feedback shave(I am sorry if I use a wrong term for that, I couldn’t find another way to describe it).
 

Steinmetzify

Legendary Member
What’s been working for me lately is zero pressure.

Good prep, good soap, good razor and good technique. These will pretty much always guarantee zero feedback. I’ve done this 4 days in a row using a decently aggressive razor (Blackbird with an OC) and it’s worked perfectly.

The zero pressure thing is really the only thing I’ve changed lately. Everybody says it, but it’s hard for me to do, so I’ve been concentrating on it a lot the last week or so.
 

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
I believe it is possible, but not with a perfect shave every time, if that makes sense. If I were to single pass every day, I doubt I'd run into much irritation, sting, etc.

However, if you're chasing the close shave, I'll go out and say no one that wants a close shave will experience perfect shave feedback every time.

I need to stay away from shaving after a few drinks :/ got myself good last time.
 

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
For me as well it depends what else you have been doing, if I have been out in the weather for instance my skin will sting a little more.
 

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Shaving is like chess, a minute to learn a lifetime to master!
There are always going to be days when even a totally perfect shave is shadowed by that stinging,
minute weeper that pops up at the end.
Your skin is changing by the second, day to day your are faced with a different situation. Factor in all the expertise on your technique, prep,
your mood, your hardware & software then the odds of a flawless, zero sting/feedback shave start to look like the odds on the lottery.
I do like seeing SOTD's where folk have actually commented on the shave as you will see tales of a not so perfect finish as well as the great ones.
I would say everyone on here starts their shave with the goal of it being flawless, the reality is rarely that.
Draw the line, don't cross it and know when to tell yourself this shave is done! 👍
 

gile

Forum GOD!
I always do two passes wtg and xtg on cheeks and wtg and atg on neck and get more than 80 percent zero sting shaves. I think most important is good protective soap and right technique as I get these shaves with R41 and nacet also.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
No alum for me. What is the point of it? Your face will tell you if you have good technique after the shave. If your face doesn't sting, isn't bleeding or red you have done a good job, leave it at that. Alum is for the paranoid among us.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
I don't use alum either.
Don't actually know what it is for :)
My main sting used to be from soaps I was sensitive to.
Took me a while to work that one out.
Some days I stung a bit after. I would blame technique mostly.
Then i twigged.
 

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
I will not use alum either, because it is aluminum.

Aluminum is loosely linked to Alzheimer's disease in several studies, so I stopped using it ages ago.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Aluminium is not the same thing as potassium alum in the same way that sodium chloride (table salt) is not the same as chlorine or sodium.

The link between aluminium and Alzheimer’s is a myth as is the link with cancer. People in Asia have used alum crystals as deodorant for centuries and Asia is not an Alzheimer’s hot spot. Even the Alzheimer’s Society themselves deny any link.

Ultimately it’s your choice but alum is a safe product.
 

SammieM

Forum GOD!
I do get zero feedback if I forego the WTG pass, since that let’s me avoid putting pressure. If I shave every day, I do XTG and ATG passes with minimal buffing. This gets very close to BBS and the feedback is practically nonexistent save for two trouble spots under the jawline.
Generally this happens with sharp blades and mild razors. I get more feedback from aggressive razors with duller blades...
 

Macbeth

Active Member
I will not use alum either, because it is aluminum.

Aluminum is loosely linked to Alzheimer's disease in several studies, so I stopped using it ages ago.
And it's why I don't use DEODORANT with aluminum in it. I found Toms of Maine to be a good one.
And since the pandemic, I'm at home all the time so no need for deodorants since I bathe daily and don't work.
 
Top