Your Music Medium

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I don't recall seeing this being discussed specifically here. How do you listen to music? Records on a stereo? CDs? Reel to reel? iPod? Streaming? There are lots of ways to listen to music these days, some of which I don't even realize exist and which my son would probably be happy to point out to me. But I'll start with myself.

How I listen to music for me is highly dependent upon where I happen to be at the time. So, when I'm at home, I tend to listen to music in the man cave where we have an whole entertainment system set up. There I listen to music two ways. Either I hook up my iPod to the receiver or I play albums. Yes, vinyl. We have a nice turntable down there and I love spinning records. My son has his own basic 2 channel stereo system to listen to iPod or can bluetooth into it from his phone. He can do that in the man cave as well. Something I know nothing about.....yet. He also listens to music from his laptop with headphones quite often. If I'm in the car, I almost always take my iPod with me and plug it into the car system. Occasionally I'll listen to the radio but it's just the regular radio and not satellite. I won't pay for satellite radio just so I can have many more stations playing music I don't want to listen to. My iPod is a v5 Video which I believe excels at musical sound production. And it is an 80gb hard drive so my entire collection (not including the albums) is at my fingertips. And when I'm just walking around or traveling by air I will again rely upon my iPod and listen to the music either through a pair of nice non-Apple ear bud type head phones or I'll use my Sony MDR-7506 studio monitor over-ear headphones. Those are my preference despite their size. The sound is awesome and true to what the sound engineer intended me to hear. An I guess lastly, I do tend to go to see music fairly often, usually in NYC jazz clubs. There really is nothing like seeing it live and in living color. Plus if you do it right, you can sit within a few feet of the musicians and even interact with them at times.

So, there you have it. My approach at listening to music. Let's hear yours.

Last edited:

wintoid

Out of control
My house is all Roon. Well at least there are 5 rooms where I can listen to Roon, 2 of which are proper hifi systems.

I enjoy listening on my phone on the move too. I've never listened to so much music in all my life.

I probably catch one live concert a year, something like that, these days.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
All my music, which is either ripped from CD or bought as a download from Amazon, is on my NAS. From there I can stream it to any of my devices that are on the network via Plex. My favourite stuff is also on my phone so that it's portable. I prefer buying downloads as I don't have to store the physical discs however sometimes the CD's cheaper so I get that instead and then rip it.

D

Deleted member 1881

Via Windows Media Player & Head phones on the PC or by my Logitech 5+1 speakers & subwoofer.

D

Deleted member 30

I have a vintage, (1990's) set up of hifi separates, mostly high end Rotel and a pair of 1970's 3 way speakers.

I like to listen to CD's and this is the main of my collection and listening choice. Though recently I started to rip my CD's to .flac with the idea to reduce my collection of CD's. I also have my PC coming into my Rotel amp on AUX. I listen to a lot of streamed radio stations this way.

When I'm in the car I listen to the radio or cassette tape.

I also have a vintage small battery radio, (1980's) that I still use while I'm working, though of late I have been using my phone to listen to audio books and radio.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Dedicated listening: Vinyl (SACD sometimes)
Casual listening: Mac Mini server or Jazz Groove
Fun listening: app with access to various radio stations in Australia, UK and Chromecast
Background music while working: Google Home speaker with iHeart radio or streaming service

Len

Forum GOD!
All digital here. (Zappa would approve) The so called 'warmth' of vinyl is simply distortion, and usually is preferred for nostalgia rather than for clarity or fidelity, which is what digital offers. FLAC or other lossless files are, almost always, for nearly everyone, pointless (except for cold storing originals). Compressed AAC is my codec of choice.

Dedicated, home, private, personal listening: Wired Shure SE535 earphones on iPod Classic
Home listening with family: Duel stereo HomePods streamed from personal uploaded library and Apple Music
Out and about: AirPods on iPhone streamed from personal uploaded library and Apple Music
Live shows attended less regularly than in the past, but will go for something remarkable or unique

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
All digital here. (Zappa would approve) The so called 'warmth' of vinyl is simply distortion, and usually is preferred for nostalgia rather than for clarity or fidelity, which is what digital offers. FLAC or other lossless files are, almost always, for nearly everyone, pointless (except for cold storing originals). Compressed AAC is my codec of choice.

Dedicated, home, private, personal listening: Wired Shure SE535 earphones on iPod Classic
Home listening with family: Duel stereo HomePods streamed from personal uploaded library and Apple Music
Out and about: AirPods on iPhone streamed from personal uploaded library and Apple Music
Live shows attended less regularly than in the past, but will go for something remarkable or unique
What's your thoughts on this hologram tour that Ahmet is doing with former Zappa band members?

Len

Forum GOD!
What's your thoughts on this hologram tour that Ahmet is doing with former Zappa band members?
I think the concept is fascinating and compelling, and is definitely something Frank himself would have made use of if he was still alive.

However, in this case, this visual 3D art in its compilation is not Frank's art. It is someone else's art; editing and compiling Frank's music and video for purposes it was not originally intended for. It might be good, or interesting. Who knows? To me, it feels like a cash grab, and its artistic merit is questionable.

I'm much more interested in the potential release of the original video and audio recordings used in this thing than in the holographic patchwork mixed with live players.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I think the concept is fascinating and compelling, and is definitely something Frank himself would have made use of if he was still alive.

However, in this case, this visual 3D art in its compilation is not Frank's art. It is someone else's art; editing and compiling Frank's music and video for purposes it was not originally intended for. It might be good, or interesting. Who knows? To me, it feels like a cash grab, and its artistic merit is questionable.

I'm much more interested in the potential release of the original video and audio recordings used in this thing than in the holographic patchwork mixed with live players.
I don’t disagree. I’ve never been overly impressed with ZPZ and Dweezil. While it’s nice to see someone playing Frank’s music live, I always walked away feeling that it was watered down and nowhere near the real thing as far as atirstic expression is concerned. You are absolutely correct that what both Dweezil and Ahmet are doing is a cash grab. Neither seems to be doing anything original of their own. Frank is sorely missed. A subject for another thread.

Reactions: Len
D

Deleted member 2076

I used to buy tons of CD's every month since I was 10 years old, my first being Metallica's "Justice..." back in 1988. I think I own around 1.500 CD's.

When streaming came up, I started out with Spotify, but still bought most of the albums, just to have them for my collection. To this day still, I have lots of new CD's still packed in shrink wrap. I stopped buying "physical" albums in 2016, with Dream The Electric Sleep's "Beneath the dark wide sky", which I deemed a worthy closure to my collection.

Today I'm exclusively using Apple Music, as it goes nicely with all of my Apple devices at home, and also with CarPlay in both of my cars.