Your most used camera type?

What type of camera?

• Total voters

Redrock

Forum GOD!
Recommend that you add mirrorless to the choices. I have a Sony α6000. It is a nice camera. Sony has been on the leading edge of mirrorless camera technology for a number of years. However, Canon and Nikon recently released mirrorless versions of their brand since the Sony is so popular.

Ed K.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Recommend that you add mirrorless to the choices. I have a Sony α6000. It is a nice camera. Sony has been on the leading edge of mirrorless camera technology for a number of years. However, Canon and Nikon recently released mirrorless versions of their brand since the Sony is so popular.

Ed K.
I can see mirrorless replacing DSLR within the next 10 years, they are the way forward, and yes indeed Sony has led the way, but there are quite a few big names starting to pay some serious attention. The Nikon Z7 looks amazing, but for £3500 I think I will pass.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I didn't even know what a "bridge" camera was until I looked it up. Looks like people are struggling to identify categories now the dSLR has morphed into a compact and become a hybrid.

Still use my Canon dSLR for everything. I used to use adapters and fit on my Contax and Leica lenses but my eyesight isn't good enough to focus perfectly anymore so I have a large bunch of stuff to sell. Definitely has to be autofocus now. Don't use my mobile much because it's too small - use my desktop.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Yup, mirrorless seems to be the way forward.
Nice to know what I will be picking up second hand when I break my DSLR in 10 years time.

You can have adapters to fit your current lenses on, so why not?
Just got to wait for prices to come down eh?

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have had a few dslr’s but I find without a pc they are next to useless. I do not know how to work them but admire people like JamieM and Chris Van Meer that produce some stunning shots.
I cannot compete with those and even though I’d like to I cannot get to grip with the cost or effort involved for my simple SOTD photos.

R181

Grumpy old man
S

Steve Bowles

I have had a few dslr’s but I find without a pc they are next to useless. I do not know how to work them but admire people like JamieM and Chris Van Meer that produce some stunning shots.
I cannot compete with those and even though I’d like to I cannot get to grip with the cost or effort involved for my simple SOTD photos.
I've got the Nikon D7100, half a dozen Nikon lenses, 3 tripods, a Speedlite, a Sigma ring flash, every accessory known to man, and I still haven't taken a shot worth keeping, much less printing. It is the pursuit of taking a keeper that keeps me going.

R181

Grumpy old man
Like shaving, in photography you can't buy yourself a better photo for the most part. It really boils down to taking the time and effort to learn to get the most out of the gear you have. There are very nice photos taken with cell phones.

Bob

Grarea

Forum Plod
Yes, apparently phone cameras are improving with leaps and bounds.
So much money is spent on them I suppose.
The software running the phone cameras seems to be taking a lot of the credit though I think.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Massive difference between a large 4 1/2" screen as opposed to a tiny little thing on the rear of a lot of DSLR's and the instant photo apps make for a very tempting package. I did buy a Nikon J2 but it's nowhere near as easy to use, or as tactile as my phone camera, plus DSLR's image size is weird too. In the end I suppose they are like razors some people are happy with a Bic, others still aren't happy with a Wolfie.

Grarea

Forum Plod
or as tactile as my phone camera, plus DSLR's image size is weird too. In the end I suppose they are like razors some people are happy with a Bic, others still aren't happy with a Wolfie.
I think it is what people get used to.
I can't stand taking photos on my phone.
I struggle to hold the thing.
It hasn't a very good camera anyway.

They are very set up to bosh photos to the internet as well eh?
Also, you don't need huge quality when most people will look at the pic in a format of a couple of inches across.
DSLRs / mirrorless need to keep up with phones now.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I think it is what people get used to.
I can't stand taking photos on my phone.
I struggle to hold the thing.
It hasn't a very good camera anyway.

They are very set up to bosh photos to the internet as well eh?
Also, you don't need huge quality when most people will look at the pic in a format of a couple of inches across.
DSLRs / mirrorless need to keep up with phones now.
Very true Sir. To be honest I have produced my last two yearly calendars from photos taken on my iphone and printed via Vistaprint. They are really nice quality I'm more then happy with them.

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes, apparently phone cameras are improving with leaps and bounds.
So much money is spent on them I suppose.
The software running the phone cameras seems to be taking a lot of the credit though I think.
Software runs all electronic cameras no matter the type. What none of these cameras can do is give the photographer an eye for composition and light. That is something the photographer has naturally and/or has learned. Another part of the equation is the post processing or lack of it given to the image taken. This is also done with software that can be free and relatively simple or expensive and requires a steep learning curve.

There really is no need either for camera with a huge pixel count if the images are for display on the net in the size normally done on forums.

Bob

celestino

Forum GOD!
Using a DSLR isn't as difficult as it seems and with a little patience and practice, you can understand and adapt your technique.
Of course, as you mentioned, you do need a PC or laptop and a simple free editing feature such as GIMP (Linux OP) is more than enough to enhance your photos. I have been posting my SOTD photos using this system, for the past 7 years. :cheers: