Yaqi vs Shavemac

UKRob

Forum GOD!
In most cases you do get a better product the more you pay for it. The question then becomes if the price difference of 2X or more difference is 2X or more noticeable in daily performance? For those that can afford it and can appreciate perfection it is worth it no doubt. If you can't afford or appreciate perfection then a product of much less cost will not handicap you to a huge extent.

Bob
I don’t think it works in a linear way Bob. We all know that paying twice the price does not mean twice the quality - but most of us are prepared to try and get an improvement on the previous standard, even though it may be just incremental, but at a far greater cost.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Don’t confuse quality with luxury. Quality is about function. Luxury is about status. For some it is the status that is more important but for many function wins over status most of the time. When comparing quality vs. luxury: there’s often a noticeable gap between the two in price. It’s there for a reason (otherwise, it wouldn’t be luxury, after all).

Quality is different from Luxury - There comes a point, where value or return is greatly diminished. And of course there are shaving products where the actual material value received is insignificant in comparison to the inflated price. This is what most refer to as “luxury”. The goal of the high price is to drive lesser class individuals out of the market. To separate the haves from the have-nots. So, really, the goal of making the purchase is to enhance one’s perceived status. In other words: inflate ones ego. I guess we all like a bit of luxury now and again but when I have my sensible hat on I choose quality! With regards to Shavemac (I have MS and Shavemac), I assumed the price I paid for the Shavemac was about the customisation rather than any detectable increase in quality over MS, that and a bit of brand snobbery :).
Succinctly put up.

R181

Grumpy old man
I don’t think it works in a linear way Bob. We all know that paying twice the price does not mean twice the quality - but most of us are prepared to try and get an improvement on the previous standard, even though it may be just incremental, but at a far greater cost.
No, I did not mean in a linear way, sorry if you got that impression. The sensible gent in me says after a point you are wasting you money for next to no gain in performance and that point varies with the individual. OTH, I sometimes break down and splurge just because I can and I am worth it. :D

Bob

UKRob

Forum GOD!
No, I did not mean in a linear way, sorry if you got that impression. The sensible gent in me says after a point you are wasting you money for next to no gain in performance and that point varies with the individual. OTH, I sometimes break down and splurge just because I can and I am worth it. :D

Bob
And that’s the great thing about being our age Bob, we no longer have responsibilities for others: if we want to splurge, we can do so with no consequence. Personally, I don’t have any interest in the latest technology/cars/cameras/IT/fashion/holidays/travel - or whatever. So £50 on a jar of MdeC soap means a lot to me and a minor difference to whoever picks up the remainder when I’m gone.

D

Deleted member 1881

Don’t confuse quality with luxury. Quality is about function. Luxury is about status. For some it is the status that is more important but for many function wins over status most of the time. When comparing quality vs. luxury: there’s often a noticeable gap between the two in price. It’s there for a reason (otherwise, it wouldn’t be luxury, after all).

Quality is different from Luxury - There comes a point, where value or return is greatly diminished. And of course there are shaving products where the actual material value received is insignificant in comparison to the inflated price. This is what most refer to as “luxury”. The goal of the high price is to drive lesser class individuals out of the market. To separate the haves from the have-nots. So, really, the goal of making the purchase is to enhance one’s perceived status. In other words: inflate ones ego. I guess we all like a bit of luxury now and again but when I have my sensible hat on I choose quality! With regards to Shavemac (I have MS and Shavemac), I assumed the price I paid for the Shavemac was about the customisation rather than any detectable increase in quality over MS, that and a bit of brand snobbery :).
Moka feels luxury to me, with all respect to Shavemac, so maybe I don't know what luxury means.

D

Deleted member 1881

And that’s the great thing about being our age Bob, we no longer have responsibilities for others: if we want to splurge, we can do so with no consequence. Personally, I don’t have any interest in the latest technology/cars/cameras/IT/fashion/holidays/travel - or whatever. So £50 on a jar of MdeC soap means a lot to me and a minor difference to whoever picks up the remainder when I’m gone.
What?? No way! What about the grandchildren??

Also, don't say that. You will enjoy the soap and end it yourself sir, many years from now on.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!

Great point well stated, thanks for taking the time to post it.

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
Interesting discussion. I am one who owns a Shavemac, a Plisson, a Kent and a Simpson, all in their premium level hair. I am generally NOT a fan of Chinese products which is one reason I bought the Plisson. I understand their premium badger is harvested from Europe which i one of the reason I bought in. My favorite of all of them might be the somewhat floppy Kent, just due to the handle shape.

That said I have heard a lot of good about Yaqi brushes. I have no doubt they punch above their weight. They may be better than some of the brushes I have, From the threads I've read they often require a bit more work to wash out funk, etc. A month into use though, they may be as good as any. I don't know. I suspect the higher price on some of the other brands means they bought less funky hair to begin with or spent time defunking it and passed the cost on to the consumer.

We all have reasons of why we buy and don't buy. I generally don't like the Chinese business model. That said, in another hobby of mine, wood carving, I own a few Chinese made (not mass produced) gouges that for the quality of the steel are as good as my Dastra, Pfeil, Henry Taylor and Stubai tools. They don't have the fit and finish of those brands but steel wise, they give no quarter.

Enjoy what you enjoy. Cost doesn't automatically make something better. I'm a buy once cry once person by nature, so I don't look for the lowest cost always or much of the time. I look for value, but we all have differing definitions of value. Value is personal.

D

Deleted member 1881

Yaqi has upgraded their brushes. The problem was mainly in the backbone. It was a hit or miss.

However, the customer service is second to none. They will replace anything no questions asked.

Im a loyal customer. King Yaqi.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yaqi has upgraded their brushes. The problem was mainly in the backbone. It was a hit or miss.

However, the customer service is second to none. They will replace anything no questions asked.

Im a loyal customer. King Yaqi.
I wish they would refund my three brushes sitting on my shelf, I did get a full refund on one brush, but it took 4 emails to refuse a smaller sum of refund (to the value of the brush) prior to receiving a full refund. This is one reason why I dropped Yaqi from potential ATG group buy/LE