Would you be a good British citizen?

Discussion in 'Recreation, Hobbies & Interests' started by Cristobal, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Cristobal

Cristobal Guru

Yesterday I had a talk with an acquaintance, who will apply for British citizenship eventually. Taking a test is a part of the application process. The test itself is not about how to make tea or eating a spoonful of Marmite, but rather about life in the UK.

It's called the Life in the United Kingdom test:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_the_United_Kingdom_test
    Free tests online:
    https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/

I did 4 of them (I'm not planning on becoming British). You need 75% to pass, I failed twice (65% and 69%) and passed twice (75% and 79%) without preparation. With the dedicated books and a bit of training, I would likely succeed. With some general knowledge and common sense, it's very feasible. However, since 2013 the test is harder.

For instance, I didn't know that "scunthorpe" is a word that came from Viking language (I don't even know what is a scunthorpe and its purpose), that the "engineers" were Germans who came to Great Britain in the Middle Ages or that St Andrews was the place to be for golfing, and many other useful things.

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure that my cousin who's been a British citizen for more than 25 years (by marrying an British citizen/woman), would fail the test...

slapo, bandito and chrisbd like this.
  2. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

I'm too much of an American to pass the test; and it's over £1000 to get citizenship (passport) if you do pass the test. I thought Labour had geared the test to see how much you knew about getting welfare.

efsk and Len like this.
  3. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

Interesting. I got 58% as didnt read some questions properly. Like the queen one. Then 88%. But I just remembered them really. Just guessed most tbh.

4. chrisbd

chrisbd Forum GOD!

I passed (83%) but I found some of the questions, well, questionable, frankly. Is driving a car really a fundamental value of British life? Surely that can't be what is meant by the airy concept of "Britishness", at least it's not what springs to my mind. And who knows Oscar winners? What if you're not a slave to the film industry or the cult of celebrity? We're not, by the way, I completely fluked that one. Who do they get to compile this crap? Your opinion may differ.

Rowlers likes this.
  5. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

I got the car one wrong, it says what is Not a british value.
    Also agree with the celeb one, didnt know who tilda whoever it is, was.

6. jb7

jb7 Bloke

I'm Irish - 75% - guessed about 6 answers - many of the questions seemed a bit daft.

7. LeeBot

LeeBot Guru

I just passed with 75%. I took a 1 in 4 guess at St.David's Day and got plain lucky with the Farah question as I knew that Hoy & Wiggins are cyclists so it became a 50/50.

I didn't realise that looking after the environment was a fundamental aspect of British life what with the decision to build an extra runway at Heathrow, cuts to waste collection and the farce of "carbon trading". What a ridiculous test and the notion that we may well be basing citizenship status on the fact that they don't know the status of the Helena Islands, the Falklands and the acting awards of Colin Firth and Tilda Swinton is rather worrying!

slapo and Fox like this.
  8. Cristobal

Cristobal Guru

In one of those mocked tests, I had a question once asking whether it was normal to beat his wife ...

9. Count of Undolpho

Count of Undolpho Guru

Wow Deja Vue

Blademonkey likes this.
  10. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

My thoughts too.

My results
    Untitled-1.png

11. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

I am too colonial to ever make a good British citizen. It would be interesting to know the percentage of British born citizens who could pass the tests first crack without studying for them. I'd bet I could not pass my own country's immigrant tests.

Bob

12. halvor

halvor Esquire

I got the same question, and it was which of these four are NOT a fundamental value of British life - to which the answer was driving a car. The British values, then, were taking care of the env't, caring for yourself and your family, and treating others fairly.

How on Earth I know that the Cenotaph is in Whitehall, beats me. From a crime series on TV?

I managed to get 79%. Missed 10,000 metres Mo Farah, the English Rose and a couple of others. Not bad - and lots of luck.

13. Count of Undolpho

Count of Undolpho Guru

Yup I misread it too

14. LeeBot

LeeBot Guru

The Cenotaph question is an odd one. I could almost understand if the question was which city but to ask which part of the city seems very London-centric.

I only knew it because I visited London for the first time around 5 years ago and particularly enjoyed the very culturally and historically rewarding walk from Westminster Abbey up to Trafalgar Sq and back down the mall. You even get to give HMRC a quick BOOO! None of which I feel makes me particularly British.

15. isendono

isendono Veteran

I took the test 7 years ago. It does ask quite a few weird questions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice