WOTW

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by Grarea, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Grarea

Grarea Forum GOD!

Workouts Of The Week.

I thought perhaps those of us at a bit of a lower level than others in WOD could use a thread?

I, for example, have been off exercising regularly for something like (I am embarrassed to say)
    10 years I think.
    I have done some cycling in there, but only sporadically.

I want to run again, but when I tried to run, the muscles just aren't there.
    I struggled to run across the road, I was shocked. It was a really strange feeling.
    So, I have set myself a spreadsheet to log what I do.
    Mainly to make sure I notice when I haven't done something for a few days.
    I have also set myself a reminder every day to log my exercise.
    I have resorted my diet out again and over the last couple of months have lost

I started with walking. I have spent two years driving a van for silly hours. (we have a few hills around here as well that are strengthening my legs up nicely.)
    Now I have got the bike back going again (Two miles and my butt and legs are struggling for sure)

So, this last week, I have cycled 5 miles and walked 5 miles. (In various small bite sized pieces. So
    a 1 mile walk here, a 3 mile walk there, a 2 mile cycle here etc etc.)

Anyone else at the lower levels?

Oh, and also, over the last three months I have lost about 8kg.
    slowly steadily does it. Build up gently and slowly, I have been a long time out and those tendons are made of plasticine.

Nico1970, Gairdner and Rowlers like this.
  2. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

You've got to start somewhere @Grarea and you've made a great start!
    The tough part is keeping it up...

3. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Absolutely!

About 7 years ago, I decided I was too sedentary (something which manifested itself as me being larger than I should be) and decided to do something about it. Running, I thought ... which turned out to be really bad for me and not something I enjoyed, so cut back a bit and walked. Within a few weeks I'd lost literally a tonne of weight and my walks were routinely a good hour daily, perhaps 3 miles over rough, even challenging ground. Weekends, I'd get out for a good three or four hours and enjoy a 10 miler.

What was fun was wearing out a pair of boots and working out that they'd actually walked something like 1800 miles. After my second pair of boots, I stopped logging my mileage. By that point it had just become "what I do" rather than something I should aspire to.

I've done some fell running since, something I decided to abandon after seeing one horrible slip/fall too many and decided the risk was too great (for me).

As part of a lower level of working out, I took to the Primal Blueprint thing (you can google it), but workouts should be more natural, less repetitive, certainly more unpredictable. I use real physical work as my workouts: lifting sacks of rubble, gravel, bags of water, moving logs, tree trunks, chopping wood, sweeping, bending, stretching, squatting.

I also took up Fencing ...

My daily "workout" is always an hour walking, whatever the weather and however I feel. I'll do some form of physical lifting through the day somehow, nothing programatic, just real work. Fencing is my "all out activity" sport and it is gruelling ... lunges aside, it's nervous fast twitch reactive coupled with explosive activity, all timed and worked out with the brain. Stabbing your opponent is a puzzle: "how do I get my point on his jacket?". It's a puzzle that involves trying to be quicker, trying to deceive, trying to follow their opening lines, all while not falling foul of them doing exactly the same thing to do ... within 14 metres, one metre wide. It's frenetic! Something like 5 A-side is no doubt similar, Badminton, Squash ... I'm thinking of taking up Squash to compliment my Fencing.

What I do is akin to the Primal Blueprint, although I do think its author means for us to be more programatic about it. I walk. I move about a lot. I lift frequently. Less frequently I'll have a period of highly frenetic and explosive activity. I'll also rest well - pitch black, no electronics. Eat well, keep hydrated, drink less alcohol.

As encouragement to others, I think this is a great formula and it is eminently do-able.

Slow and steady. Great start @Grarea ... keep it up! More importantly work it into your life so it becomes just "what you do".

Nishy, Rowlers and Gairdner like this.
  4. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

Sheesh @pjgh . Lower levels, my Aunt Fanny! Beyond me, sir.

When I started to try and get myself fitter and stronger early last year, a single set of 10 press ups was it. Then I factored in some sit ups and managed to walk 3/4 of a mile. The walk got a bit faster eventually and then slowly but surely a bit longer. I used to do a day in the garden but then next day I was done for, really done for. Now I do twice as much and am ok next day. @Rowlers has it absolutely spot on - starting is hard but keeping it up for a long time is harder. For me, anyhoo.

Well done @Grarea you have the right idea in building it up slowly but surely. :D :highfive:

Nishy and Rowlers like this.
  5. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Squash is my favourite sport, would be very good training for fencing in the short start stop nature, it is also explosive at times, I describe it as a full body bleep test.

6. Rowlers

Squash used to be MY sport.. Not a sport I'd recommend to get fit, you NEED to be fit to play it. It is a very tough and underrated sport, it's a shame it is losing popularity (well it is around here anyway)...

Nishy and Gairdner like this.
  7. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

I once worked with an ex-army Sarn't Major who told me, "Son, you don't play squash to get fit, you get fit to play squash."

8. Rowlers

Exactly @Gairdner

9. Nishy

Yep losing popularity here too, it seems it makes sports businesses a very small profit compared to multiple people playing on a badminton court. Although saying that it had gone up from £4 to £12 to play for 45 minutes in the last two years around me.

10. Grarea

Grarea Forum GOD!

Wonder why it is losing popularity.

11. Nishy

I think one reason may be corporate sport preference is moving towards golf.

12. Grarea

Grarea Forum GOD!

:D
    I was more thinking the £12.

13. I retired at the end of June after 50 years of a sedentary office life and having had heart bypass surgery in 2012. As part of a getting fitter routine after surgery I took to cycling again mixed with a weekly gym session and separate swimming session - but this was really just only maintaining my weight - because I was not doing enough during the day.

Since retiring, I'm much more active - and like Paul says, real life work in the garden seems to get me sweating far more than gym exercise. For my birthday yesterday I was given a Fitbit - a watch that monitors your movements hour by hour against a set target. It's early days yet but I think it may be useful - especially when reminding me that I haven't moved a great deal in the last 30 minutes - time to close the iPad and get moving.

Rowlers and Nishy like this.
  14. Nishy

I used fit bit a lot from December to March to try and get ready for my wedding, managed to lose 2 stone and tone up well. Like you say it is a good motivational tool by keeping records of how much you have done. Other thing that helped and obviously very controversial was eating a punnet of raspberries a day. I say no more.

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 Veteran

I use the Runtastic Pushup Pro app. Last night I did 150 push-ups broken down into 5 sets. First set was fifty eight and it goes down from there. The object of the app is to get you to 100 push-ups in one set. Sadly, I have not hit that peak performance yet.

Rowlers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice