Wolfman comparisons

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by Tester28, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Tester28

Tester28 Regular Member

Hi guys

I recently got a Wolfman WR2 1.15SB straight from the source. It's a lovely piece of gear
    and shaves really smoothly for its efficiency.

I want a WR1 head too and the 0.74 gap gets a lot of praise around here.
    Initially I was looking at a 0.94 WR1 SB but Im wondering if I really need to go that high.
    I do want to be able to use this razor every day if I want to....and not keep it for 6-7 days growth.

Has anyone used or compared the .74 SB to, say, a Charcoal Goods Level 2 SB or a Blackbird SB....I mention the latter only because I own them and know them well.

Cheers!

carbold likes this.
  2. carbold

carbold Carlo

Not sure if it helps, but I have a WR2 1.15 OC and both a 0.74 and 0.80 WR1 OC. I've also had a 0.67OC and a 0.86OC. In my experience (OC only) I think that the closest to the 1.15 WR2 is the 0.74 WR1. IMO a 0.86 WR1 or higher would be a bit too much for a daily use. 0.74 is perfect for that, 0.80 is pushing a bit.
    But may be a 0.80 SB would be OK....

3. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

I found the 0.74mm OC to be more smooth as with less blade feel than the 0.74mm SB. Sold the latter.

4. Tester28

Tester28 Regular Member

0.74 does seem to be the magic number.

Maybe a DC :)

5. carbold

carbold Carlo

I also had the 0.74 DC and sold it to get the full OC....
    I think the 0.74 OC seems to be the most popular combination. I am enjoying the 0.80 OC at the moment but you do have to be a bit more careful with pressure

Tester28 likes this.
  6. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

I can't give you any comparisons but I have a WR1 OC 0.74 and not found a need to look further for a close comfortable shave. I shave every day with a straight razor and find the shave off the WR1 to be just as good.

Bob

Tester28 likes this.
  7. rawfox1

rawfox1 Forum GOD!

Love to hear more about the WR1 .94 .90 and .86 and how they compare to the WR2. I have a WR2 SB 1.25 SS and a WR2 Ti 1.35 SB and love them both with the 1.25 Smooth and efficient and the 1.35 less smooth but more efficient

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Petronius likes this.
  8. Tester28

Tester28 Regular Member

That's quite a ringing endorsement for the OC 0.74mm....in what way does it excel over the SB 0.74?

9. Tester28

Tester28 Regular Member

Just wondering do you find there to be a noticeable difference between the two even though its just .06mm?

10. Petronius

Petronius Legendary Member

Answer one - blade feel
    Answer two - yes

11. carbold

carbold Carlo

Yes it is noticeable. I found that the 0.74 for me is like the verge of a cliff, from the 0.74 upwards I get nicks if I’m not careful. Might just be the case for my skin/hair

12. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Could not say having never used the SB version. I generally prefer OC razors in any event.

Bob

13. Tester28

Tester28 Regular Member

Can you expand a bit? Someone else spoke of this too.

14. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I own all three razors you mentioned. The Wolfie is the best of the lot, though all are capable of producing superb shaves. For me the 0.74 Wolfie is the best razor I own! Bar none.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Batch300 and carbold like this.
  15. carbold

carbold Carlo

I agree. I have tried most high end razors and sold most of them, but I kept the 0.74. Tough call between the 0.80 and the 0.74, the latter certainly better for daily use

Batch300 and Wayne like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice