With & Against the Grain shave. Is it worth doing

JohnT

below is quote from a BBC news article (Should men shave their faces up or down?)
“Shaving against the grain usually produces a closer shave and faster results - but is also more likely to cause irritation than shaving with the grain, says Matthew Gass from the British Association of Dermatologists. The speedier method can also lead to razor burn, ingrown hairs and even scarring, he adds. Around the neck in particular, the direction of the hair is not always obvious, so it's important to take one's time”

I have just started to use Oneblade Genesis having for years used disposables.
I have watched the videos were the emphasis is on 2/3 passes both with and against the grain. And am following the video advice.
My face has irritation and having read the BBC article I am asking myself why don’t I just go with the grain.
Surely with a descent razor with a new blade every shave why not go with the grain. Yes I know it will not be as close but from a practical point of view if shaving daily it’s going to be close enough.

D

Deleted member 1881

If you don’t like going ATG then don’t do it. I rarely go against. There’s also the middle ground of across the grain. You can do WTG and then XTG for closer than WTG but less irritation than ATG.
Ha, with the Dart, you can always go ATG without any problem! :)

D

Deleted member 1881

To avoid irritating the skin you must first shorten the hairs as much as possible.

Then the ATG pass will be a piece of cake.

The key is to avoid repeated passes on the already ATG shaved area. (call me hunter of the BBS)

R181

Grumpy old man
Mathew Gass is very likely correct if he means trying to do a one pass BBS shave against the grain. For one thing by trying to do it in one pass you are very likely to be using too much pressure causing a decent case of razor burn. No matter the razor it must be used at the right angle with the weight of the razor doing the work without you applying any real pressure. Stubble does not grow in one direction on a face so for me going downward mean going ATG on a section of my neck and in other areas it means going XTG. So, like JonnyBGood said it really is not as simple as up and down.

Shaving, to me, is using multiple passes to slowly reduce the stubble and using the proper shaving technique. Multiple pass shaving can be done with no ill effects but if you are in a hurry and use a sloppy shaving technique all bets are off. My daily shave is 4 passes with a straight razor. I get no ingrown hairs or razor burn and definitely no scarring. It was not always so but I fine tuned my shaving technique over time.

If you are happy with the results of a one pass shave, just stay with that.

Bob

JAGS009

Forum GOD!
My first pass is mostly wtg. The 2nd is more of a hybrid pass, so to say, between an XTG & ATG.

Only when the blade is totally new or the soap is a super cushiony kind, I dare going ATG.

Personally, I am very happy with my hybrid pass and don't feel the need to go completely ATG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only go ATG with certain razors..that said I rarely do as I can get a similar result doing WTG, XTG left to right, XTG right to left.
ATG on the neck is a no no for me..

S

Steve Bowles

Always with the grain, John, never against it. Against the Grain is great for a forum name, but crap for a comfortable, and safe, shave.

D

Deleted member 1881

If I don't so an ATG pass, I just can't return here to ATG forum and write about my shave. This would be heresy..

Hehe just kidding don't hit me!

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
For myself, it depends on what the day ahead or evening has in store! Example, if I am going to Bowls or Choir practise, then a simple Wtg shave.
If however, it is a formal do or a club match well then I take my time and do Wtg, Xtg and Atg and if it is something with the little woman!
Well then I make sure it takes me longer to get ready than her :laugh: