Wish me luck

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have tried my soap tonight. It is fine to use, no Lye remains and it doesn't strip the skin from the bone or itch or cause irritation of any kind. As a first effort it's OK, useable but there is no fragrance to the soap with the 15 drops of fragrance oil I used according to the recipe. It needs a heck of a lot more, however that will make it expensive and I do not know what the oil will do to the skin properties of the soap. Essential oil can cause bother if used neat or at high concentrations. So I'm happy enough to use the soap to wash and then apply something smelly once out of the shower.
Next batch which I will make at the weekend will have coconut oil in it, this will help with lather production. The Castile soap doesn't lather a lot, it does produce a thin washy lather but it would never make a shaving soap. It does clean well though and is moisturizing, I think it does need the Coconut in there but until I make it this is just pure speculation.
It's a nice useable soap. I'm happy I gave it a go and will be making more.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Update.
I have just made batch 2 of Matty’s soap co Castile soap. This new improved ( hopefully) batch has added Coconut oil to provide a better lather. 100% Olive Oil Castile soap makes a thin lather which is lubricating and nourishing but it isn't as appealing as a mass produced soap with all it’s chemicals to boost lather. The addition of Coconut oil and Essential Oil in an Aventus clone scent should make the soap much more user friendly. I have just poured it into moulds and will remove it tomorrow around this time. I will then do a zap test with the tip of my tongue on a bar after a week. If I don’t get a reaction then I will shower with a bar before curing it for around 4 more weeks before using it in anger.

Wayne

Forum Sod
7FDECD90-4DEC-47C9-999D-51378B968021.jpeg

Batch 2. In the words of Mr Geo Formby “Turned out nice again” it already feels soapier, and when I used a couple of scraps to try it lathered much better than 100% Olive Oil so this is the recipe to use if you make your own. And please do, it is very satisfying.

Last edited: