Wickhams v Barts Balms?

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Hi all.

I have become a devote follower and lover of both Wickhams soaps and Barts Balms but have not yet tried Wickhams Balms. Clearly a difference in ingredients as well as price for the 50g units but has anybody done a comparison of the 2 Balms? Plenty of reference to Darren's face soaps and Barts on youtube etc but very little in respect of the Wickham Balms. yes I can just order one in, classic 24 being my absolute favourite at the moment but wondered what experiences you guys may have had before doing so.

I have tried several other Balms but nothing compares to Barts for me, many being either oily or thin in comparison..

Last edited:

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I've not tried the Barts balm but the Wickham balm is very good. The ones I've got, Shamrock Tweed and Shangri La have really good scent strength. The balm is easily absorbed and is not greasy or oily to my skin.

Burry

Forum GOD!
@Hectorsgaf i completely agree with you. Wickhams soaps and Barts balms are just about as good as it gets in their class. The wickhams balm is not quite so good for me, though it is still a very good product. It seems to have a slight grainy consistency that is not for me, though it seemed to do a good job.

D

Deleted member 540

Haven't tried Wickhams but really like Barts. I like that I can get them in essential oil only scents. Fragrance Oil balms can sometimes be too strong/headache inducing.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Further to above and having had a further opportunity to try Darren's balms after Santa ( secret variety ) was kind with a sprinkling of Christmas Spruce Balm..

These Balms ( Barts and Wickham ) are SO totally apart from each other. Wickham is glue like for me and is 'wet' to use and stays wet on the skin until it absorbs after a fair while to leave the skin over dry. Barts is more like a luxury cream. Applies well, absorbs well but leaves the skin not greasy but smooth and 'hydrated' to the touch. Add a drop of after shave oil and the day is good. No wonder these look so different out of the bottle. Have to add - Darren's are considerably more expensive too.

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
Wickham's balm is an interesting one in that it's like aloe gel or hyaluronic acid. Featuring carbomer it forms a film on the skin to retain moisture (outside stays dry, inside stays moist - perhaps accounting for your over-dry skin feel @Hectorsgaf?). I find they work decently with my skin but as always YMMV. The Barts balms look more like 'typical' balms, in that they're a water-oil mixture to provide moisture and nourishment respectively. The Wickham will do the same but takes a slightly different route.

Interestingly, carbomer is used a lot for hair gels and chafing fuels.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I was recently sent a tin of Bart's aftershave balm, as a secret Santa gift. Prior to these, I had used an number of the Wickham's Balms ie classic 24, Shamrock tweed, cashmere, Irish fern, Magnum and club cola.
Scent wise, I think the Wickham's balm's are longer lasting and a better selection to Bart's.
Cooling and moisturising wise, again I would go with Wickham's. I find it far superior to Barts.

Out of ten, I would score Wickham's Aftershave balm's easily 8.5 out of 10.
Where as Bart's for me are 7 out of 10.

At the end of the day, It all comes down to how your skin reacts and how you enjoy the products. But for me I would choose Wickham's

D

Deleted member 1881

The Wickham Magnum Balm has an absolutely fantastic long lasting smell, but it dries almost instantly my face.

I don't know why.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
The Wickham Magnum Balm has an absolutely fantastic long lasting smell, but it dries almost instantly my face.

I don't know why.
I find the opposite. Takes ages to dry but when it does it is TOO dry. Barts leaves skin soft all day especially with a squirt of the after shave oil on top of the balm. Wickham xmas spruce scent is rather nice though.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Got to say, I have had a difference in opinion with the the Barts.
Yesterday, I had a lovely shave with Wickham's classic 24 soap a brass general and Bart’s Amber & Moroccan balm. 8 hrs later my face still felt fantastic and the fragrance all but gone but it still tried to giving a little waft here and there.

D

Deleted member 30

@Hectorsgaf i completely agree with you. Wickhams soaps and Barts balms are just about as good as it gets in their class. The wickhams balm is not quite so good for me, though it is still a very good product. It seems to have a slight grainy consistency that is not for me, though it seemed to do a good job.
The graininess has been eradicated now. My new suppler provides me with a much finer grade of Allantoin. :)