Why witch hazel?

Cushion94

hi
I've heard before about using witch hazel after shaving. What is the reason though? Do people use it as an aftershave or does it help your skin differently to a balm?
Thanks
Michael

Conservator

Forum GOD!
Witch hazel has been a natural remedy for centuries. It contains tannins and other oils which lessen inflammation, draw tissue together, and lessen bleeding. For me, it is an essential post-shaving treatment. I use it as an after shave and have been using it for close to 50 years.

halvor

a most elusive fish
It’s an astringent, as is the alcohol in alcoholic after shaves, and alum, right?

WH is usually unscented or lightly scented, which may be a factor for some, relative to more strongly scented aftershaves. I find it gives me a ‘stiff face’ and prefer either a good balm or an alcohol AS, but haven’t tried Thayer’s WH for instance.

huntereyes

Witch hazel has been a natural remedy for centuries. It contains tannins and other oils which lessen inflammation, draw tissue together, and lessen bleeding. For me, it is an essential post-shaving treatment. I use it as an after shave and have been using it for close to 50 years.
This. I find it improves the condition of my skin post shave, so apply in conjunction with an AS or AS balm.

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
Witch hazel is also a part of my routine, but rather used in conjunction with (alcoholised) AS lotion, as witch hazel tends to tighten pores and balm the contrary.

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I think you should try it and come to your own conclusion. WH does nothing for me. An alcohol-based aftershave works very well for me and I use one after every shave. I don’t like balms either as they make my face feel slippery and greasy and often leave it feeling itchy.

Poirots Tache

Forum GOD!
I use Thayers after EVERY shave and then follow it with an alcohol (preferably with menthol) based splash. II find that it moisturizes without being sticky (I hate balms because of the post feel). Some Thayers have a little alcohol in them, some don't. I prefer the non-alcohol cucumber. I also find it lessens the sting from the alcohol in the follow up splash, if that makes sense.

After using thayers wich hazel my skin is so health,soft and smooth.I dont have sensitve skin so don't know anything about during irritation.But my recommendation is to buy it, especially over the summer,you will best assess the benefits !

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have never used Witch hazel on a regular basis. I don't get what it does. I know people who do use it love it or at least seem to, personally I can't see anything doing as good a job as Aloe Vera but you pays your money!