Why witch hazel?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Cushion94, May 22, 2018.

1. Cushion94

Cushion94 Active Member

hi
    I've heard before about using witch hazel after shaving. What is the reason though? Do people use it as an aftershave or does it help your skin differently to a balm?
    Thanks
    Michael

2. Conservator

Conservator Veteran

Witch hazel has been a natural remedy for centuries. It contains tannins and other oils which lessen inflammation, draw tissue together, and lessen bleeding. For me, it is an essential post-shaving treatment. I use it as an after shave and have been using it for close to 50 years.

dadant, Mikey J, N_Architect and 5 others like this.
  3. halvor

halvor Esquire

It’s an astringent, as is the alcohol in alcoholic after shaves, and alum, right?

WH is usually unscented or lightly scented, which may be a factor for some, relative to more strongly scented aftershaves. I find it gives me a ‘stiff face’ and prefer either a good balm or an alcohol AS, but haven’t tried Thayer’s WH for instance.

Cushion94 and SpeedyPC like this.
  4. Cushion94

Cushion94 Active Member

Thank you both for your answers. Looks like ILl have to get some to try out.

5. huntereyes

huntereyes Active Member

This. I find it improves the condition of my skin post shave, so apply in conjunction with an AS or AS balm.

Britva and Cushion94 like this.
  6. Cushion94

Cushion94 Active Member

Thank you huntereyes I'll be trying it the same way

7. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

Because @Billyfergie says so, and you should always do what an ex-Royal Marine Commando tells you to do.

8. Cristobal

Cristobal Guru

Witch hazel is also a part of my routine, but rather used in conjunction with (alcoholised) AS lotion, as witch hazel tends to tighten pores and balm the contrary.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Britva and Cushion94 like this.
  9. Cushion94

Cushion94 Active Member

Indeed you should. I'll make sure I get some now

Steve Bowles and Britva like this.
  10. Rufusdog

Rufusdog Forum GOD!

I think you should try it and come to your own conclusion. WH does nothing for me. An alcohol-based aftershave works very well for me and I use one after every shave. I don’t like balms either as they make my face feel slippery and greasy and often leave it feeling itchy.

Cushion94 likes this.
  11. Poirots Tache

Poirots Tache Forum GOD!

I use Thayers after EVERY shave and then follow it with an alcohol (preferably with menthol) based splash. II find that it moisturizes without being sticky (I hate balms because of the post feel). Some Thayers have a little alcohol in them, some don't. I prefer the non-alcohol cucumber. I also find it lessens the sting from the alcohol in the follow up splash, if that makes sense.

Cushion94 likes this.
  12. Jacobite

Jacobite Legendary Member

I use Thayer's Medicated (older labels say 'Superhazel') after nearly every shave. The Superhazel has that great camphor scent reminiscent of Noxzema products. Great for the skin. I'm 60 years old but people say I don't look a day over 58.

Rene, Dr Watson, Cushion94 and 2 others like this.
  13. Cushion94

Cushion94 Active Member

Thank you for the responses everyone, I'm still yet to get some but it's definitely on the list.

14. Niksa Sturanovic

Niksa Sturanovic Senior Member

After using thayers wich hazel my skin is so health,soft and smooth.I dont have sensitve skin so don't know anything about during irritation.But my recommendation is to buy it, especially over the summer,you will best assess the benefits !

Cushion94 likes this.
  15. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I have never used Witch hazel on a regular basis. I don't get what it does. I know people who do use it love it or at least seem to, personally I can't see anything doing as good a job as Aloe Vera but you pays your money!

Cushion94 and Niksa Sturanovic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice