Why do you buy a new razor?

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
We all have different reasons, chasing a better shave, collecting etc.
For me I've never had a brilliant shave from the cheaper end of the market but that could be down to handle length.
I need minimum 95mm and when you get to the higher end stuff you usually get that option.
Also heft, I need the weight of stainless.
Trust me, I've tried many, many different razors that were either light or had short handles and it just doesn't happen for me.
In the end I've got there with Blackbird's, an aggressive Wolfman and a Weber.
I'm done buying full stop but I will still enjoy immensely seeing others obtain new hardware

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Because we like to add a little frisson to our otherwise humdrum daily lives. It's human nature to want to try something different - even though we don't really need another razor/little black dress/handbag/pair of trainers etc. etc. Take a look at the excitement generated by the latest brush thread - the majority of purchasers will already have experienced a very similar knot, so it's the handle shape and colours that will be different for them and that's unlikely to add a great deal to the actual shave.

I'm not knocking them by the way - although I won't be buying this time as I'm in the process of having a handle turned and will then get a specific knot from Shavemac that I'll fit myself. Do I need another brush? Absolutely not. Will it be my last brush. Absolutely not.

S

Steve Bowles

I'm only buying razors and brushes for their aesthetics. If I can find something that combines functionality with artistry, then that's a win-win. I'm too old to worry about the newest tech or more stainless steel. I appreciate the use of different materials (handles), along with a mild razor head. My most recent buy was the Muhle Sophist set in white porcelain. This will surely change as soon as an American start-up produces a laser model.

halvor

a most elusive fish
For me it's analogous to wave surfing and chasing the idea or dream of a perfect wave. So even though I get wonderful shaves with what I have got, there's always that utopic shave on the horizon. And as we know, the horizon is always .. well .. on the horizon. (The anti-capitalist, anti-globalisation organisation Attac never had their way with me, obviously.)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
At the moment I Still only have my trustee EJ89. Manly because I don't think I have honed my skill sufficiently yet.
I'm at around the 90% mark at the moment and still struggle on the curve of the chin area.
It doesn't help that I am prone to the odd spasm in my arms a Genetic disorder But I have not cut myself once this year.
I would like to add two or three razors this year, a Slant 37c or some OC razors.
It would be nice not to see the same stuff in my shave of the day photos.
That is what grabbed me - the beautiful SOTD photos. You NEED variety on SOTD photos :laugh:

missingskin

Forum GOD!
Boredom, inner magpie, wanting to try something new or old ...............and my other hobby (?) is as bad ............. plus my razor collecting has slowed down........:roflmao:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
With both New and Vintage it's the overwhelming irrational fear of a moment that someone else might get it, and then no more will be made or sold (for that price). I have razors & stones that are worthless to me, bought in the moment.

efsk

Forum GOD!
because t is fun discovering the difference in shavingproperties different razors have.
And because I'm a collector and must have all slants.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I'm firmly in the, I love spending my hard earned on what I want to camp. I love buying good razors. I want to own the nice ones out there but I'm still mindful of value. I want to know that what I buy is expensive because it is made from the best materials and to the finest tolerances. That someone has taken care to produce something worth owning. I'm not daft. I know that a £10 Tech will shave me just as well but if I can afford something nicer or if I need to do a little overtime at work to buy something nicer then I'll buy something nicer and enjoy every second of it. I'm gonna be dead a long time so I may as well enjoy my short time on Earth :D

Tennessee Dave

Über Member
Good question and for me no real answer. I don't think one could get a better shave than I got this morning with a Gillette Red Tip with a 4 shave old Super Iridium blade; however, after reading the reviews on the Timeless SS I got a real jones for one. Someone out there please help convince me that I really don't want it and that there is no way that it is worth North of 2 bills.