Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

halvor

a most elusive fish
Grabbed this at the airport upon the recommendation by one of the duty free staff. Had a sip yesterday and not sure tbh. Not bad by any stretch, but worth it? Another one of these non age statement whiskies. Had Auchentoshan recommended earlier, but that was probably the 12 or 18.
288AC2A7-4343-4416-9575-497CF95BC46E.jpeg

Kalmageddon

Forum GOD!
Does any of you guys can recommend webshop in UK that ships to EU , I want to buy Glencairn whisky glass. Thank you

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
I have a bottle of Oban that my wife gave me for Chrimble last year and a Highland Park that was a birthday present from a mate on the go at moment. Lean toward the Oban for preference.

Single malt is the only spirit I drink. Bourbon doesn't do it for me.

steve

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I'm fairly late to this discussion. I can't really say that there isn't a single malt I don't like....except one. I bought a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and I swear I could not get more than a few sips of it down. Maybe I had a bad bottle but I found it to be awful. I put it away and then several months later gave it another try with the same result. It just wasn't for me so I gave it to my neighbor who I have now learned will drink anything. And I mean anything. One of three alcoholics on my block, all within 3 houses from me. But, my absolute favorite is Lagavulin 16. I love the smokiness of it and feel it gives it a unique character that is even differentiated from other smokey and peaty scotches such as Talisker and Laphroig, both of which I have tried and liked, just not as much. I try to always have a bottle of it on hand and have recently gotten into the 8 year that they just came out with. It's got that same distinct flavor, just a little toned down. And it's about $30 cheaper than the 16.

I also like Clyde Mays Alabama Whiskey as well as their Bourbon. And I've recently started to try Rye. We have a bottle of Bulleit Rye that I'm enjoying. And when we were on a sushi kick, eating sushi at this one restaurant every Friday for years until it closed, I bought a bottle of Yamazaki that went perfectly with sashimi.

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
The topic of whisk(e)y distillation came up in my lecture this afternoon. As the students left the hall two young men came up and asked if I liked Scotch. I said I like some Scotch whiskies, yes indeed. They asked what cheap Scotches I'd recommend. I said that I found Dewars orTeachers to be just fine. They asked about cheap single malts. I said I wasn't aware of any, but that I tried a cheap blended malt called Glen Salen a few years ago that wasn't half bad. But I could tell that everything I mentioned was still beyond their budget. Then they asked "Have you ever tried Clan MacGregor in the giant 1.5 litre green plastic bottle?" Yes I had! Suddenly I was their age again. I had forgotten all about Clan MacGregor. I drank it when I was a student myself. Deus meus it was awful. It tasted like isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. The only thing good about it was that while the taste was dreadful it went down rather smoothly, which I suppose means that it didn't come right back up.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
10 year old Springbank is wonderful and not ruinously expensive unlike most of the other Springbanks!
Opened a bottle of Springbank 10 yesterday - I’m a convert. A bit of young-whisky burn but I’m loving the salty-sweet-malty-peaty funk that’s going on in my mouth!

Reactions: p.b

p.b

Forum GOD!
Opened a bottle of Springbank 10 yesterday - I’m a convert. A bit of young-whisky burn but I’m loving the salty-sweet-malty-peaty funk that’s going on in my mouth!
Where did you find it and how much did they rob you for?

p.b

Forum GOD!
Now what to get next in the peated category?
I suspect you'll struggle to find ANYTHING in the same peaty league as Uigeadail! Anything you'll try will be lacking in peat in comparison. You might be better off trying a whisky that focuses on on something different. Maybe Oban or Springbank for something complex?