Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
A little change from the Islays.. and my first organic whisky. Will enjoy a nice glass later.
Have been drinking Ardbeg "Uigeadail" recently and it's a complex one with lovely sweetness and smoke but the finish makes it hard to drink..it's just too harsh (though a drop of water or an ice cube helps) and you feel the alcohol burn for a good while afterwards.

Sort of sounds like the Ardbeg isn't really all that enjoyable when you factor in the harshness and all. I tried a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and I couldn't get through a single glass without tossing it (what was left in the glass) after a few attempts. I went back to it several times and I just could not stand it. I gave the mostly full bottle to my neighbor......gladly. Ardbeg is just not for me. Lagavulin is more my speed.

Sort of sounds like the Ardbeg isn't really all that enjoyable when you factor in the harshness and all. I tried a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and I couldn't get through a single glass without tossing it (what was left in the glass) after a few attempts. I went back to it several times and I just could not stand it. I gave the mostly full bottle to my neighbor......gladly. Ardbeg is just not for me. Lagavulin is more my speed.
Interesting, sorry to hear you didn't get along with the Ardbeg. I actually really liked the 10 year old, and I really want to like the Uigeadail but it's too rough on the finish. Lagavulin 16 is always going to be a winner..just a great whisky in every way.
If you like Islay whiskies there's a lot more good ones to try..:cheers:

halvor

a most elusive fish
Interesting, sorry to hear you didn't get along with the Ardbeg. I actually really liked the 10 year old, and I really want to like the Uigeadail but it's too rough on the finish. Lagavulin 16 is always going to be a winner..just a great whisky in every way.
Give the Uigeadail a couple of months, Chris, and try again. I dare claim it will be less harsh. Lovely as it is, Laga 16 can’t compete.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I agree. I've tried many of them and like most of them. Laphroaig. Caol Ila. But I always keep coming back to Lagavulin. It just hits all the notes for me.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Give the Uigeadail a couple of months, Chris, and try again. I dare claim it will be less harsh. Lovely as it is, Laga 16 can’t compete.
I'll have to give the Uigeadail a try as well then. Are you saying it ages while in the bottle and it's edges soften?

FSword

Forum GOD!
I have to agree about Ardbeg 10. I just can't drink this whisky. Uigeadail on the other hand is another story. Still has a hint of the 10yo character but far more tasty. Given the above Lagavulin 16yo is still my favorite. It becomes even more obvious after tasting other peated whiskys in parallel.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I have to agree about Ardbeg 10. I just can't drink this whisky. Uigeadail on the other hand is another story. Still has a hint of the 10yo character but far more tasty. Given the above Lagavulin 16yo is still my favorite. It becomes even more obvious after tasting other peated whiskys in parallel.
That's been my experience as well with the Lag. I turned my whole block onto Lagavulin. I think I even turned a scotsman onto it. One of my neighbors is scottish and his father still lives in Scotland and made his living in a scotch distillery. When I first met him I was the only one drinking Lagavulin and he came over for a gathering. He and I started to talk scotch and when I told him Lagavulin was my favorite scotch he said, quite seriously, "Lagavulin tastes like ass." I kid you not. That was many years ago. Now he's partners in a distillery in North Carolina. Starting with gin and he just did a batch of scotch. I haven't tasted it but he turned me onto Caol Ila. And guess what. Every time I go over to his house he has a bottle of Lagavulin. I'm sure I didn't turn him onto it and I'm sure he was just giving me shit. But I like to tell that story.

Dule083

Forum GOD!
I must defend Ardbeg. You must understand. Ardbeg is not chill filtered whiskey. He is also 46% abv. That givibg you purity of taste. But also for that you must pay a price. Ardbeg are fool blooded islay single malt. What that mean well, he is once and ever or once and newer. I love those heavy medicinal whiskeys. Laphroig cask strenght mmmmmmm that you shoud try. Ardbeg is simply without compromise whiskey. Best description give one my friend when I order glass of Laphroig. " No thanks. He is not dram for my weak nervs" :happy: Well Ardbeg is close.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I must defend Ardbeg. You must understand. Ardbeg is not chill filtered whiskey. He is also 46% abv. That givibg you purity of taste. But also for that you must pay a price. Ardbeg are fool blooded islay single malt. What that mean well, he is once and ever or once and newer. I love those heavy medicinal whiskeys. Laphroig cask strenght mmmmmmm that you shoud try. Ardbeg is simply without compromise whiskey. Best description give one my friend when I order glass of Laphroig. " No thanks. He is not dram for my weak nervs" :happy: Well Ardbeg is close.
Agreed Ardbeg 10 is magnificent.