Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by halvor, Jul 21, 2017.

1. halvor

halvor Esquire

Figured there are quite a few lovers/connoisseurs in here, many much more experienced and advanced than I. Please feel free to recommend, review, post a pic or whatever relevant you may have to say/post on the topic.

I'll go first. My father-in-law wants no peat and ALWAYS buys Dalwhinnie 15. I figured I'd get him something I knew he'd like but which was not D15. Ended up with Aberlour 12. A bit sharper, less body, equal sweetness. Might try with a little water, but said person prefers his whisky in small shots glasses and I have to go with the flow... (And he still prefers Dalwhinnie.) Other suggestions most welcome.
    IMG_5283.JPG

ESBrushmaker and Nishy like this.
  2. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

I've not tried either of those two, I got into peated whisky a couple of years back and rarely reach for anything else now. Glenmorangie is a nice approachable one though. Balvenie double wood is excellent and partially matured in sherry casks.

sev-8 and halvor like this.
  3. halvor

halvor Esquire

I'm quite fond of Laphroaigh myself, so no fear of peat here, but FIL wants it non-peaty, smooth and approachable.

ESBrushmaker and BlacknTan like this.
  4. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

Glengoyne 12 would be my recommendation. I've been trying to kill off my bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 for well over a year...

halvor likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Legendary Member

My favourites are Balvenie Carribean Cask and any McCallum, I'm not keen on the Islay peaty types - especially Laphroaig

halvor likes this.
  6. dowsing

dowsing Forum GOD!

I'm personally a bit of a peat head, but I'd recommend Aberfeldy or Glenfarclas as something he'd probably like. For something a bit different he'd most likely still enjoy go Irish with Red Breast, Green Spot or Bushmills Black Bush.

halvor likes this.
  7. halvor

halvor Esquire

Added to the list, Ben. Thanks.

Incidentally, to show the tax levels over here: Checked how much a .7 litres bottle of this would set me back. 60 pounds. Which, I imagine, is a lot more than in the U.K...

Edit: oh ffs... half price, then.
    IMG_5293.PNG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Burgundy likes this.
  8. halvor

halvor Esquire

Ah, Green Spot! Picked up (and now emptied) a bottle of this when in Dublin last. Likeable! I fear he'd still lean towards his D, though. Will have a look at the Aberfeldy and Glenfarclas.

dowsing likes this.
  9. DamianJ

DamianJ Forum GOD!

Some good suggestions so far. I'm not an expert by a long shot but Glen Livet is pretty nice too and if I remember correctly so is Tomintoul.

halvor likes this.
  10. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

Another vote for Glenfarclas, I love the 15 year old. It's still an independent family-owned distillery and the 15 year old is bottled at 46% because, in the words of the distillery owner, "that's how my granddad liked it."

halvor and dowsing like this.
  11. halvor

halvor Esquire

What are your personal (peaty) favourites? Asking for myself, this time.

dowsing likes this.
  12. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

If you like Laphy (presumably 10 or QC?) you really ought to also give Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 a whirl first... But get hold of a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's in my Top Three of financially-acceptable whiskies.

halvor, dowsing and chris.hale like this.
  13. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

If I had to choose just one whisky, Lagavulin 16 would be it.

NOTSHARP, halvor, dowsing and 2 others like this.
  14. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time..."

halvor likes this.
  15. dowsing

dowsing Forum GOD!

I'd second Burgandy's suggestions, all favourites of mine and perhaps some Laphroaig Cask Strength.

halvor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice