Which shampoo and conditioner are you currently using?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date

Vacumatic

Testy
Could I sidetrack this thread for a moment please?

I haven't been one for buying higher priced shampoos since I met a manufacturer of shampoos (for other companies to rebrand) who told me that apart from the very cheapest of shampoos, there was very little difference in quality and results across all prices. Some years later, I read a review where people were given samples of shampoos from three different manufacturers priced at £5 a litre, £40 a litre and £150 a litre. The testers had no idea of the prices but all said that they got the best results from the same shampoo and expected that it would be the most expensive. It happened to be the cheapest and sold by Aldi and I have been using that brand ever since. I forget the exact price, something like £2.99 for 500ml.

I am happy to buy something more expensive if it is significantly better, you guys use some premium shampoos, are you getting value for money?

Cheesepiece

Stickler
I am happy to buy something more expensive if it is significantly better, you guys use some premium shampoos, are you getting value for money?
I use a Scottish Fine Soaps shampoo bar, priced at £7 RRP but I usually pay around a fiver including p&p when I order a few at a time. I find the bars to be great value and want to try other ones as SFS only do 2 scents. DR Harris and Stirling are on my try list.

Morpheus

Forum GOD!

I haven't been one for buying higher priced shampoos since I met a manufacturer of shampoos (for other companies to rebrand) who told me that apart from the very cheapest of shampoos, there was very little difference in quality and results across all prices. Some years later, I read a review where people were given samples of shampoos from three different manufacturers priced at £5 a litre, £40 a litre and £150 a litre. The testers had no idea of the prices but all said that they got the best results from the same shampoo and expected that it would be the most expensive. It happened to be the cheapest and sold by Aldi and I have been using that brand ever since. I forget the exact price, something like £2.99 for 500ml.

The one I use? yes, but everyone will have a different experience. As I mentioned above, I have tried many shampoos and conditioners over the years, but always end up back with this set. It just works best for me, + it's only £10 and the set lasts me around 3 months so it not something I've really thought about. I also use Molton Brown body wash, always have despite trying many others too, it's expensive at around £22 for 300ml but I really enjoy using it, and that to me is better value than the price I pay :)

D

Deleted member 2936

tbh i got pine tar soap which was like £25 for 6 bars, to me that was a fair bit but hoenstly now i've used it i wont use anything else

this pine tar soap smells like a burny smokey smell but i love it and it literally strisp everything off your hair if you use a lot of product,
like i use beard oils, butters and wax to so lot of product build up

been using that faith in nature conditioner which smells amazing tbh

and i use a leav in conditioner to keep the beard nice and soft, for that i use cantu which i found on amazon with no parabbens and chemicals etc,
good stuff imo

tbh aldi and lidl products in general are great and really good valueq

slapo

It's... alive!

I don't have much hair left, but I've actually been getting better results from soap bars than soaps marketed as shampoos (whether liquid or solid).
I think that up to a certain level, there should be improvements, such as better quality essential oils yielding a more pleasant aroma, and possibly less preservatives and colourants, but it's still basically soap and past a certain price point, it's just people marketing word salads or exotic but usually redundant ingredients. I've tried some relatively expensive shampoos, but never found them to be any better than minimal ingredients soap bars or sunflower oil based liquid soap.
I'd also tried using a mixture of baking soda and essential oils, and it actually worked pretty well, but I went back to soap bars afterwards for convenience.
I mostly use Crate 61 soaps these days (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YL6G6RJ/ ) or Naissance Liquid Castile Soap (mostly sunflower oil based, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MY49QEQ/). I try to use both sparingly on my scalp, as overuse leads to dryness (but still less so that normal commercial shampoos).

Vacumatic

Testy
Thanks for the information everyone. When I was a teenager my father used to tell me that I would lose 95% of my hair by the time I was 21, as he did. thankfully he was wrong and my hair is as long and thick now as when 18, I will look at the brands you guys have suggested, thanks again.

Sorry for the diversion.

pj3r

Forum GOD!
For years I use shampoo bars. Spieck was great but my No1 is shampoo bar from Spartium Natural Cosmetic. Great scent, great performances and great price! Absolute king of shampoos for me!