Where in Switzerland?

D

Deleted member 30

I am thinking of taking a break in Switzerland in the Summer. I'm thinking low cost accommodation so maybe Airbnb.

But where is the best place to go for a decent bike rental shop, great views, food and a bit of flat land for days of taking it easy?

Any recommendations and help is welcomed and appreciated.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I've only been to one place in Switzerland and that was Geneva. Definitely expensive. I was there on business. I found Geneva reminded me of a miniature Paris. I didn't venture outside of the city but I have to believe that you don't have to go far to find solitude and natural beauty. From what I understand Switzerland is kind of a mix of three different influences. Geneva is french. Zurich is german. And the south western portion is italian speaking. I wish I could offer more perspective but this is all I got. The little I saw was incredible. Good luck.

motto

Forum GOD!
Try to check out the area around Lucerne. It has almost all you expect from Switzerland, moutains, situated on a lake, lovley historic city, etc.
Not far from Zurich (airport) and easy to reach by railway.
Regards Marco

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Try to check out the area around Lucerne. It has almost all you expect from Switzerland, moutains, situated on a lake, lovley historic city, etc. Not far from Zurich (airport) and easy to reach by railway. Regards Marco
Yep - I'll second Lucerne. Wonderful lake. Not too far from lake Zurich either.

Otherwise there's Lake Thun and Brienzersee with Interlaken between them. Also nice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30

Try to check out the area around Lucerne. It has almost all you expect from Switzerland, moutains, situated on a lake, lovley historic city, etc.
Not far from Zurich (airport) and easy to reach by railway.
Regards Marco
Yep - I'll second Lucerne. Wonderful lake. Not too far from lake Zurich either.

Otherwise there's Lake Thun and Brienzersee with Interlaken between them. Also nice.
Thank you gents, I will check this area out.

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
The beauty of Switzerland are the small towns dotted along the lake between Geneva and Lausanne. Take some time and wander through Morges, Nyon and if you don't mind the countryside, Saint Sulpice. Everything closes at 5:30pm so take a good book :)

D

Deleted member 30

The beauty of Switzerland are the small towns dotted along the lake between Geneva and Lausanne. Take some time and wander through Morges, Nyon and if you don't mind the countryside, Saint Sulpice. Everything closes at 5:30pm so take a good book :)
Thank you @neko this sounds right up my street and I have a good collection of books waiting to be read. Will take a further look into this area also.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Do you guys take fantasy holidays using the Google little man? I do - been to New Zealand South Island, Chile and lots of other nice places. I would certainly check out the terrain before planning a holiday.

Not to upstage Switzerland, which is marvellous as we know, but I'd also be thinking of Lake Como in Italy which is very pretty. We stayed in Menaggio which was memorable, but it's all nice there.

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
Thank you @neko this sounds right up my street and I have a good collection of books waiting to be read. Will take a further look into this area also.
My pleasure :) If you like live jazz, there's the Montreux Jazz festival. It's on the far end of Lac Leman so best to take the train. If you like women's golf there's the Evian Women's championship which is a short hop on the ferry from Lausanne, you may need to take your passport as it's technically in France. Both events start in late July. Audrey Hepburn's house and where she is laid to rest is in Tolochenaz.