What you've learned about shaving so far

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
I have learned that I thoroughly enjoy having my face not chewed up after using goo in a can.

I don't mind using carts with a wet shave, but I prefer vintage DE shaving, and recently discovered that injectors are absolutely the most comfortable shave I have ever had.

I have learned I love a mild razor with a mid-sharp but smooth blade, or an adjustable with a mdi to high-sharp blade (from Personna red to KAI)

I have learned that (most {not b&B]) of the shaving community, be it newcomer to minimalist, hobbyist to collector, can all come together in agreement on one thing: Finding that magic combo of razor and blade, and loving it to the most we can.

Artisan soaps can smell amazing, and give good performance, but there are some great fallback products for the right price that I love as well. I'm an absolute sucker for Dr Jon's soaps, they're a great scent and a great performance, but I'm also a sucker for Arko sticks. Great performance, and an unbeatable scent. (replace Arko with WMS, proraso, etc and you probably have your opinion lol) I hope the market never disappears. I don't think it will with the US push back to quality products rather than cheap shite.

I have learned as well that you sometimes never know when your favorite product is destined for the chopping block. For me it was Wizamet/Polsilver SI blades. I heard they were discontinuing Wizamet, and I remember thinking, that's ok, Polsilver is probably just becoming the universal brand name. Then they stopped that one too lol. Thank goodness for Morocco having a small stash for a decent price. This has taught me to enjoy what you like while you can, but never be afraid of exploring.

Last of all, I have learned that you chaps across the pond seem to know a decent shave.

Jstyle

Forum GOD!
I’ve learned not to dismiss some of the older or less hyped gear in my collection . Many of the soaps razors and brushes that are being released now are amazing but on occasion I still find myself reaching for my Murphy's , Proraso or. Art of shaving soaps as well as inexpensive brushes such as my Omega 620 or my vintage Rubberset Badger. Every shave for me is an enjoyable experience wether it’s with a brand new shiny copper work of art or a thrift store mid century single edge Gem.
ive also come to the realization that mastering the technique and maintenance of a straight razor is not required for me to enjoy this part of my wet shaving experience. I own one nice straight razor , a strop and I hire a local gent to put a new edge on it if needed.
One last thing. Of all the interests I’ve had throughout life, wet-shaving has proven to be my best distraction from daily stress and occasional unfortunate circumstances.:okay:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I prefer flatter heads and top caps to those which are more rounded. For example I prefer PILS, BBS-1, Wolfman to Mamba, Merkur, Timeless. This is two fold, I feel the shave is more precise and blade easier to see, thus helpimg maintain a beard easier. When clean shaven I have no preference.

Lighter razors with thin handles are my preference.

Take time building the correct lather. Most my DE razors appreciate a less dense but slick lather as do my straight razors. I would now only entertain a thick lather if removing weeks of stubble. The lather must always be glossy, otherwise it needs more water.

Stick to a few brands of soap. It helps in creating the best lather for your shave.

Carbon steel straight razors are not for me. Honing stones require as much thought as blades, brush and razor. As do strops. Each combination can affect how smooth your edge is, how long the edge is maintained and lastly the sharper the edge doesn't necessarily mean a smoother shave.

Clean and care for your equipment I have seen many members brushes loose hair or fall apart just from residual soap not being washed out. Clogged razors with residual soap, which may affect performance and blades left to rust in razors.

The thicker the blade the smoother the shave? Nope. Technique is the major player here, angles, pressure and speed are more important IMO.

Hard, soft or unicorn water, all soaps will lather given the correct attention.

Soaps with skin friendly EO's provide the best post shave feel and shave feel. Although not the slickest IMO, Nanny's Silly Soaps was the best in the above scenario, for myself.

D

Deleted member 1881

I prefer flatter heads and top caps to those which are more rounded. For example I prefer PILS, BBS-1, Wolfman to Mamba, Merkur, Timeless. This is two fold, I feel the shave is more precise and blade easier to see, thus helpimg maintain a beard easier. When clean shaven I have no preference.

Lighter razors with thin handles are my preference.

Take time building the correct lather. Most my DE razors appreciate a less dense but slick lather as do my straight razors. I would now only entertain a thick lather if removing weeks of stubble. The lather must always be glossy, otherwise it needs more water.

Stick to a few brands of soap. It helps in creating the best lather for your shave.

Carbon steel straight razors are not for me. Honing stones require as much thought as blades, brush and razor. As do strops. Each combination can affect how smooth your edge is, how long the edge is maintained and lastly the sharper the edge doesn't necessarily mean a smoother shave.

Clean and care for your equipment I have seen many members brushes loose hair or fall apart just from residual soap not being washed out. Clogged razors with residual soap, which may affect performance and blades left to rust in razors.

The thicker the blade the smoother the shave? Nope. Technique is the major player here, angles, pressure and speed are more important IMO.

Hard, soft or unicorn water, all soaps will lather given the correct attention.

Soaps with skin friendly EO's provide the best post shave feel and shave feel. Although not the slickest IMO, Nanny's Silly Soaps was the best in the above scenario, for myself.
Which is the slickest soap for you, the one that wont let you stretch your skin with the other hand?

Gandalf

Which is the slickest soap for you, the one that wont let you stretch your skin with the other hand?
I learnt that newbies should focus ONLY on there technic for the first months. Prep, lather and shave is all we should care about, a tube of Nivea and a pack of Derby are more than enough to keep things started.

D

Deleted member 1881

I learnt that newbies should focus ONLY on there technic for the first months. Prep, lather and shave is all we should care about, a tube of Nivea and a pack of Derby are more than enough to keep things started.
Well yeah, but a good cream that will correct any mistakes a newbie will make, would help. Nivea is good stuff though. Especially the white-sensitive one, the residual slickness is a killer on this.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Probably glycerine based soaps such as Prof. Blighty, failing that, Stirling or P&B, but to be honest add a little glycerine to most soaps or even a coconut oil as a pre shave or argan oil and your slicker than needed.

D

Deleted member 1881

Probably glycerine based soaps such as Prof. Blighty, failing that, Stirling or P&B, but to be honest add a little glycerine to most soaps or even a coconut oil as a pre shave or argan oil and your slicker than needed.
What about Colonel Conk from the US? The lather with these is stable?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
What about Colonel Conk from the US? The lather with these is stable?
No idea. Never have tried it I'm afraid. One pertinent question, why the necessity for an incredibly slick soap? With good technique and the correct razor-blade combination for you, a decent soap such as Palmolive should be slick enough.

R181

Grumpy old man
No idea. Never have tried it I'm afraid. One pertinent question, why the necessity for an incredibly slick soap? With good technique and the correct razor-blade combination for you, a decent soap such as Palmolive should be slick enough.
I have not tried it either and it gets very little to no mention on another US forum I'm on that deals with straight razors almost exclusively. Being predominately a straight razor shaver I'd agree that Palmolive cream or stick has enough slickness to allow me a close comfortable 4 pass shave.

If you bowl lather, you could always try adding a drop or two of glycerine to the mix in the bowl.

Bob