What razors & makers names should I look for on holiday?

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
I'm going to visit my in-laws in Norway. The town I'm going to (Tonsberg) has many fine "junk" shops, very often selling things for low prices that - in the US or UK - would be sold in antique shops for considerably more. It is a town with a lot of history (It's Norway's oldest)

A lot of Norwegian history is tied up with Sweden, and a lot of Swedish products - of all "levels", from craftsman to mass produced - have always been sold in Norway, and my thinking is "Swedish steel, Swedish straight razor makers", tho' these shops very often have many fine German and Dutch antiques as well.

Can anyone suggest any names to look out for?

(mods, would this be better in the straight section?)

Darkbulb

Member #10
@Darkbulb has made a bit of a hobby out of collecting Swedish razors.

The Swedish Swing DE razors are very high quality and are also sought after...by DB at least. :)
Indeed.

If you're heading to Norway one thing to look for, if you're into it, is handmade knives made by the lapps (Sami) and especially the ones with reindeer handles. Some amazing handcraft and the older the more expensive.

Example:

Another very local, traditional knife is the 'barrel knife'. I think growing up I had either one of these or a Mora knife in my pocket at any time :)

Not being anything even close to an expert when it comes to SRs - Berg, Heljestrand and Dahlgreen are such true classics that even I know of them (and have some I think). Also, if it says "Dannemora" on it that makes it even more interesting as the best steel ever, ever made came from that mine :)

Scandinavia is interesting as far as DEs goes as there are quite a few vintage ones to pick up on, hopefully, the cheap.
Some brand to look for includes;
- Swing (at least 4-5 various models)
Here are two:

- Matador (I'm guessing 3-4 models if not more. I have a couple of them. The Deluxe rakhyvel being the most sought after)

- Strivel (takes proprietary blades but..have a built in blade strop inside the handle) :)

- Eterna

"Even the Danes" were able to come up with a razor :D
- Ginge

Last edited:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
All excellent info chaps. Well, that should keep me busy. I've got quite a nice Saami made knife (the handle is) - preternaturally sharp - it's a bit beaten up now tho' 'cos we used it...
it.JPG

And these...

these.JPG

To make this...

this.JPG

And this...
and this.JPG

We never got round to the rape and pillage tho', it never came up.
:D

I'll keep you posted, and this will probably be my permanent "And another thing...!" gripe thread.

Last edited:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
I'd personally prefer to opt out of that as I rather dislike B&B.
Sorry :)
That's fine! :happy: It's a niche of a niche of a niche anyway - I can't see many of them making it to Scandinavia, and - TBH - you've saved me the bother of pretending to care about B & B anymore.

Darkbulb

Member #10
That's fine! :happy: It's a niche of a niche of a niche anyway - I can't see many of them making it to Scandinavia, and - TBH - you've saved me the bother of pretending to care about B & B anymore.
Lol.
Also, get a lusekofte (setesdalsgenser) when you're up there in preparation for the winter back in Scotland :wink:
I got one that is prolly 20 years old and still looking new (well, I really only wear it a month a year...)

Stock photo

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Lol.
Also, get a lusekofte (setesdalsgenser) when you're up there in preparation for the winter back in Scotland :wink:
I got one that is prolly 20 years old and still looking new (well, I really only wear it a month a year...)

Stock photo
:) We've got a few now - my Fiance is from Tonsberg - Her Mum is a knitter.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Oh, I should've mentioned: My fiance has a full sized, working, adjustable barber's chair from the 40s in her old man's loft in Tonsberg.

That's the real find of the trip ! (she's had it for 15 years and I only just found out about it)

If anyone knows decent ("cheap") shipping companies that have good European rates, we'll see about getting it over in the new year (online fund it..? (^_-), and you can all come up to Edinburgh for a free face hone and rug rethink :woot: