What might I be doing wrong? Newbie to DE shaving

Jon D

Forum GOD!
3 passes is quite ambitious.

I still rarely go ATG, and only then on some parts of my face. I spent about 6 months with 2 with the grain passes (it is progressive hair reduction) and a very slight cleanup on one stubborn spot. 2 pass wtg is still my go to if my skin feels tender.
 
Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Everyone is different in what their skin can or can't tolerate before irritation raises it's ugly head. In the beginning it is probably best not to do too many multi pass shaves until your technique improves. When you technique improves your skin will more than likely tolerate more passes without irritation. Only you will know when to try more passes if you want to.

I have been shaving for 50 years. It was only after joining some shaving forums 10 or so years ago and concentrating on improving my technique that I was able to do more passes per shave. I now do a daily comfortable 4 pass shave. I doubt my skin has changed much over time but my technique has and I think that is the key to getting comfortable multi pass shaves.

Bob
 

sonofgaladriel

Senior Member
Thank's everyone for the continued advice and support! Wow, what a great group!
I applied your advice this morning and, lo and behold, a much better shave! I applied a bit more Proraso white pre shave lotion, hotter water, much wetter lather (used my new Black Ship Captain's Reserve soap this morning, great stuff!), new blade, less angle and much less pressure on the razor, and only two with the grain passes. Not quite BBS in all areas, but still very good.
Only a small area of irritation under the chin, which likely hadn't fully healed from the last shave, but much better overall.
With this last shave, I'm feeling quite a bit more comfortable and looking forward to the next one. Never thought I'd say that about shaving! It was always just something I had to 'do' to look presentable. Here's to more practice!
Thanks again everyone for all the help and encouragement! I hope someday to be able to repay you. Looking forward to reading more posts across all the forums and hopefully contributing to this great site!
 

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
BBS is over-rated lol.

For me it's all about chasing the CCS (close, comfortable shave)

I shaved tonight after my shower, and when I run my hand over my face I feel hair, and hear it, but it looks decent and was a nice experience.
 
Top