What is your favourite Truefitt and Hill cream?

https://www.soapworksltd.co.uk/soapworks-story single handedly destroyed nearly all British hard shaving soaps... They'd never made a shaving soap before and obviously didn't invest much time in finding out what's involved as they ended up producing what is essentially bath soap for everyone (apart from D.R Harris.) IIRC Floris & ToBS were the first to realise and reformulated sharpish, followed by Penhaligon's and more recently Crabtree & Evelyn... GFT and T&H still deny there is any problem to this day :meh:

These dud soaps can be easily identified by the first ingredient, if Sodium Palmate then its rubbish, if Potassium Palmate then its good :thumbsup:
Nice one James, good info, yeah I'd heard something about this before.
Also it seems like Penhaligons have stopped doing soaps according to one of their staff..(I emailed a while ago and they told me they're only now available in their in their outlets while stocks last) shame really as the BB hard soap I have performs excellently, though it is an old puck. TOBS soap is decent and D R Harris as you mentioned..the rest (Trumpers, T&H , Floris et al) I will steer clear of!

Last edited:

Dr Watson

James
Nice one James, good info, yeah I'd heard something about this before.
Also it .seems like Penhaligons have stopped doing soaps according to one of their staff..(I emailed a while ago and they told me they're only now available in their in their outlets while stocks last) shame really as the BB hard soap I have performs excellently, though it is an old puck. TOBS soap is decent and D R Harris as you mentioned..the rest (Trumpers, T&H , Floris et al) I will steer clear of!
That's news to me about Pens, what a pity... I found them too strongly scented for my face but always sad to lose more products. Some may argue they've been dead to them since discontinuing the English Fern shaving soap anyway :p:

That's news to me about Pens, what a pity... I found them too strongly scented for my face but always sad to lose more products. Some may argue they've been dead to them since discontinuing the English Fern shaving soap anyway :p:
Yeah you are right, it is a shame but English Fern was the best soap by a long way especially the Tallow version. I saw one pop up on Ebay a few weeks ago and it went for crazy money!

Nomad

Veteran
I have the 1805, Apsley and No.10. The first two are great, classy scents! Apsley is reminiscent of Terre d' Hermes. The 1805, for my taste, pairs greatly with Floid Black ASL. It is not the same scent, but I believe they complement each other very well.

No. 10 smells like a garden. Unlike the other two, the perception of the "luxurious" scent is missing, but it is a fresh, spring scent.

Performance-wise, all three are excellent!

Last edited:

Quique

Forum GOD!
I have not tried any T&H cream, although I consider buying the Ultimate Comfort. I have been suffering from a very troublesome dermatitis for a couple of months and I have read that this cream is a good solution for sensitive skin.
Do you see T&H with a superior quality to TOBS creams?

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
I have not tried any T&H cream, although I consider buying the Ultimate Comfort. I have been suffering from a very troublesome dermatitis for a couple of months and I have read that this cream is a good solution for sensitive skin.
Do you see T&H with a superior quality to TOBS creams?
I remember that on some shaving board there was speculation that the Ultimate Comfort cream was made in Canada for T&H by the Canadian Booster Co., the people who make Booster after shaves and JM Fraser's cream. I have no idea whether there was any truth to this. JM Fraser's cream is very skin friendly.

isendono

Forum GOD!
Floris have recently reformulated their soap. First ingredient potassium strearate.

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
Same as the Speick shaving stick so not necessarily a bad thing. A quick Google reveals some old discussion on SMF where they thought it was the sign of a top shelf soap.
So the new Floris is as good as a Spieck stick?!?!? If it smells nice it should be unbeatable.

Dr Watson

James
So the new Floris is as good as a Spieck stick?!?!? If it smells nice it should be unbeatable.
Try it and let us know :p:

If it is then it may be one of the only remaining high quality perfumed English soaps, what with the news Penhaligon's has called time on their hard shaving soap range.