Vacumatic
Testy
I started DE shaving again about two years ago, I have made some buying mistakes and I know what suits me and surprisingly for someone who follows the mantra of extra cost means a better product what I find I Iike is sometimes the cheapest.
Brushes, I have around five brushes, the most expensive was a Simpson badger and that is easily the worst, no backbone, no feedback and just a very floppy brush, I don't use this brush any longer. I bought what was described as a badger brush from China for £2 or so delivered, I don't know if it is actually badger but the brush is pretty good and better than Simpsons, IMHO. My favourite brush is a synthetic from Bodyshop, looks good and works even better, cost was £8.
Razors, I have around six razors, the first was the black Wilkinson, then a Wilkinson TTO and then a few others. the black Wilkinson was a OK to learn the craft but now I find it very mild, it doesn't get used. My worst razor is a Parker 96R, I liked the weight of razor in the shop but the reviewers who said the head was mild were just plain wrong, it is aggressive, very aggressive, again it doesn't get used. My favourite razor is a Gillette Tech from 1972, short handle, a head that suits me very well, my daily driver. I keep being drawn towards the top end razors but, a little bit like buying a car, if you are happy with what you have why make a change.
Blades, I don't know how many new blades I have, perhaps 100 and I have probably used about the same amount again. I bought a 100 sample pack on ebay in the beginning, I like sample packs but if I was to buy another then I would buy from a bona fide shave supplier such as Agent Shave or Connaught. There were just too many duds in my sample pack. I cannot say that I am qualified to say 'best' blade yet, I can say the worst which was a Gillette Permasharp in the green box, the only blade that I have changed half way through the first shave.
Shaving Creams and Soaps I can understand why some people hoard shaving creams, if we ever get the chance to go abroard again my suitcase is going to be full of creams and soaps from faraway lands, I haven't found a cream or soap that I haven't liked ranging from the lowly Palmolive 75pence stick to Cella and TOBS and all the rest of them.
Preparation I take my hat off to those who do a cold water shave, I like the water so hot that I can only just put my hands in. I am a big fan of argan oil soap to prepare the face,it works for me.
Post shave My one bit of advice is to moisturise after you have dried your face, it makes a big difference not only for today but also for ten years time. I am around 15 years older than a good friend of mine who has never used a moisturiser, people say he looks 15 years older than me. Spend whatever you can but if you want a cheap option get a 50ml tub of night cream from Lidl at about £2, this is quite thick so mix it with their cocoa butter at 500ml for £1, mix the two together and it makes a good post shave balm.
It would be good to hear of your shaving experience.
Brushes, I have around five brushes, the most expensive was a Simpson badger and that is easily the worst, no backbone, no feedback and just a very floppy brush, I don't use this brush any longer. I bought what was described as a badger brush from China for £2 or so delivered, I don't know if it is actually badger but the brush is pretty good and better than Simpsons, IMHO. My favourite brush is a synthetic from Bodyshop, looks good and works even better, cost was £8.
Razors, I have around six razors, the first was the black Wilkinson, then a Wilkinson TTO and then a few others. the black Wilkinson was a OK to learn the craft but now I find it very mild, it doesn't get used. My worst razor is a Parker 96R, I liked the weight of razor in the shop but the reviewers who said the head was mild were just plain wrong, it is aggressive, very aggressive, again it doesn't get used. My favourite razor is a Gillette Tech from 1972, short handle, a head that suits me very well, my daily driver. I keep being drawn towards the top end razors but, a little bit like buying a car, if you are happy with what you have why make a change.
Blades, I don't know how many new blades I have, perhaps 100 and I have probably used about the same amount again. I bought a 100 sample pack on ebay in the beginning, I like sample packs but if I was to buy another then I would buy from a bona fide shave supplier such as Agent Shave or Connaught. There were just too many duds in my sample pack. I cannot say that I am qualified to say 'best' blade yet, I can say the worst which was a Gillette Permasharp in the green box, the only blade that I have changed half way through the first shave.
Shaving Creams and Soaps I can understand why some people hoard shaving creams, if we ever get the chance to go abroard again my suitcase is going to be full of creams and soaps from faraway lands, I haven't found a cream or soap that I haven't liked ranging from the lowly Palmolive 75pence stick to Cella and TOBS and all the rest of them.
Preparation I take my hat off to those who do a cold water shave, I like the water so hot that I can only just put my hands in. I am a big fan of argan oil soap to prepare the face,it works for me.
Post shave My one bit of advice is to moisturise after you have dried your face, it makes a big difference not only for today but also for ten years time. I am around 15 years older than a good friend of mine who has never used a moisturiser, people say he looks 15 years older than me. Spend whatever you can but if you want a cheap option get a 50ml tub of night cream from Lidl at about £2, this is quite thick so mix it with their cocoa butter at 500ml for £1, mix the two together and it makes a good post shave balm.
It would be good to hear of your shaving experience.
Last edited: