What do you wish you tried earlier in wet shaving journey

Scorpio93

Forum GOD!
As title suggests - what do you wish you have tried/started earlier in your wet shaving journey, for example whether it would be some specific razor, maybe specific blade, some make /scent of soap? Or maybe some technique?
I'm really interested to see what you all have to share!
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
If you class modern cartridges as wet shaving then I’ve never done anything else than wet shave. I’ve always used a decent badger brush and something like Ingrams cream from a tube - but like most others I moved on from a three part Wilkinson or Gillette razor to the various other types that came along and have to say that I was perfectly happy with a 5 blade cartridge set-up. What changed things for me was having a barbershop straight shave - it opened up an interest in shaving and an introduction to forums where shaving systems I’d never imaged were suddenly part of my shaving experiments. Add to this a fabulous range of soaps, lathering bowls, after-shave splashes and colognes - and suddenly I looked forward to the morning ritual.
Although I have a fantastic collection of straights, I seem to have settled on SE blades and Stainless Steel razors (50mm) as the optimum for me. Given that they didn’t really exist until the last few years, I’m happy that I was part of the generation that used them first.
 
Last edited:

gwsmallwood

Legendary Member
Synthetic Brushes. I spent a year struggling to build a good lather with boars and badgers. Then voila, someone gifted me an Omega S brush and all of a sudden my shaves improved immensely. Although a year earlier, I'm not sure the synthetics were very good.
 

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
Nothing
I’m perfect
I must say J-B-M has a good point.
Realize there will always be new wonderful soaps and aftershaves coming out.
 

J-B-M

Forum GOD!
Nothing
I’m perfect
I must say J-B-M has a good point.
Realize there will always be new wonderful soaps and aftershaves coming out.
I don't regret software purchases - it'll all get used. More the hardware that I didn't really need...After all, you can only shave with one razor at a time.
 
Top