Weight loss time

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I'm not a plasterer buddy, I was a time served Bricklayer but for 25 years I have worked in maintenance and do a variety of maintenance tasks including plasterring. I have the fat gene from my Dad also a bricklayer and he was a big bloke. He died at the same age I am now with a heart attack. Never got to his retirement. That's not happening to me mate. Well hopefully not, we never know do we?
Get those Northern Soul tracks on and hit the floor, the best exercise ever. PS it's a long time since I went to an all-nighter.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Get those Northern Soul tracks on and hit the floor, the best exercise ever. PS it's a long time since I went to an all-nighter.

First chance I get pal I'm on that floor. I'll pay for it the next day but by God I'll enjoy it.

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Just an update from my end.

I changed my diet around 7 weeks back.
Went very low on carbs and at the same time started IF.

IF window is 20hrs x6 times weekly, no problem with that.
Incorporated radically nuts and seeds into my diet, especially the types which benefit diabetics (pecan, brazil, macadamia, sunflower, pumpkin, flax, psyllium husk).

Insulin level is down to 14.5 from 39.6 μIU/ml, pancreas finally getting some well-deserved rest.
a1C is already down to 6.0 from 7.0 μmol/L.
Blood sugar levels (fasting and post-meal) are at 'normal' person levels, and occasionally at 'pre-diabetic' person levels.
Blood pressure is back to normal.

Diabetic medication is expected to stop when I lose another 5kg.
Have lost 10 kg so far, with a really minimal amount of exercise.

Now I walk for an hour x3 mornings every week, and have started to (lightly) swim for 1 hr x4 times per week.
Diet about to change again soon, keeping carbs to 20% max (unprocessed wheats only of course) and increasing legumes etc. over animal-based protein (meat and dairy).

Weight loss could have been much higher had I been very disciplined on the quantity of seeds, nuts, fatty dairy and olive oil I take (calorie density concept).
Veg and fruit consumption already at good level, plan to improve further.

While a well-controlled diet is 80% of the winning game, I believe that a combination of keto (low carb), controlled quantities of nuts & seeds, very little animal protein diet with plenty of veg and fruits, together with daily exercise are keys to a solid transformation.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
There's an interesting link between lack of sleep and weight gain so get some zzzzzz.
Absolutely and that is due to the cortisol hormone that increases with lack of sleep and stress. When Cortisol is high then the pancreas releases more insulin and insulin is not called the "fat storing hormone" for nothing.

Diet about to change again soon, keeping carbs to 20% max (unprocessed wheats only of course) and increasing legumes etc. over animal-based protein (meat and dairy).

Weight loss could have been much higher had I been very disciplined on the quantity of seeds, nuts, fatty dairy and olive oil I take (calorie density concept).
Veg and fruit consumption already at good level, plan to improve further.

While a well-controlled diet is 80% of the winning game, I believe that a combination of keto (low carb), controlled quantities of nuts & seeds, very little animal protein diet with plenty of veg and fruits, together with daily exercise are keys to a solid transformation.
Well done!!!

It's easy to over do it on the amount of nuts that one can eat.... I struggle with that too.

20% carbs is still a little high for a diabetic.... that's 400 cal in a 2000 cal diet. If you are diabetic type 2 you need to aim for max 10% or less. I tried my best to stay away from unprocessed wheat too.... You need to eat a lot of legumes to get the amount of proteins you get from animal sources. Legumes worked for me 10 years ago but not so much anymore.... I use a little double cream for my coffee... 90+ of the calories come from fat so it doesn't affect my glucose level.... in comparison with skim milk that most calories come from sugars and spike my glucose level straight away.
If in doubt I always eat and test my blood then I know how it affects me.... high spikes of glucose are bad news.

I'm sure you understand how important is to monitor closely your glucose levels when you are IF and you are still on Metformin or other medicines to control diabetes

Good luck

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Indeed and thanks for pointing all these out.
Yes I do consume lots of healthy fats too but if one needs to lose wt then there has to be restriction in that area too.

And for sure everytime I incorp something new in my meal, I do test after 90 mins to 2hrs post-meal.
Sharing techniques and experience here is important.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Indeed and thanks for pointing all these out.
Yes I do consume lots of healthy fats too but if one needs to lose wt then there has to be restriction in that area too.

And for sure everytime I incorp something new in my meal, I do test after 90 mins to 2hrs post-meal.
Sharing techniques and experience here is important.
I know exactly where you are coming from.

I find that the only way for me is more salads to cut down on calories and still feel full.

It's important to detect high spikes after 20 / 30 minutes.... spikes are really bad news for your eyes, kidneys, etc. Your system might bring your levels under control after 90 minutes or 2 hours.... but the spikes for people with diabetes can be a lot higher than for a normal person.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I need to lose weight and get a little fitter.

Curious to know if anyone uses a bike on a turbo trainer? I use to cycle many years ago, but dont have the confidence to go out on the roads anymore. Quite like the idea of setting something in the garage and listening to music or podcasts whilst getting a sweat on.

I have no experience of turbo trainers and have no idea if they are effective or not. Plus I need a cheap bike off the 'bay

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I need to lose weight and get a little fitter.

Curious to know if anyone uses a bike on a turbo trainer? I use to cycle many years ago, but dont have the confidence to go out on the roads anymore. Quite like the idea of setting something in the garage and listening to music or podcasts whilst getting a sweat on.

I have no experience of turbo trainers and have no idea if they are effective or not. Plus I need a cheap bike off the 'bay
They do work but they are ever so boring experience, I know many riders, including myself, that have them in the garage to never use again lol.

They are also some expensive ones that might just give a different experience.

I'd just go on a proper bike, you will soon gain confidence. Start slowly though

Ed13

Had an injury 10 years ago when I was 40. Could not walk properly for 3 1/2 years and fell down multiple times a day. I am 6'2" and went from 205lbs to over 250 in that time, stopped weighing myself but still went up 2 more pant sizes. When mobility came back started lowering the amount I ate for over a year and dropped to 197lbs. Easy to maintain since I had adjusted my diet over time.

Began lifting weights and exercising more which required me to start eating more. I don't count calories but I have learned how much I can eat to still make gains in muscle without increasing my fat percentage. At 50 I am in as good a shape and almost as strong as when I was in my twenties. back to a 34" waist same as high school but now have over a 10" drop from chest to waist.

I would rather be the tortoise than the hare. Not good to treat your body like a yo-yo. The goal is to find a balance that you can maintain for the rest of your life.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Had an injury 10 years ago when I was 40. Could not walk properly for 3 1/2 years and fell down multiple times a day. I am 6'2" and went from 205lbs to over 250 in that time, stopped weighing myself but still went up 2 more pant sizes. When mobility came back started lowering the amount I ate for over a year and dropped to 197lbs. Easy to maintain since I had adjusted my diet over time.

Began lifting weights and exercising more which required me to start eating more. I don't count calories but I have learned how much I can eat to still make gains in muscle without increasing my fat percentage. At 50 I am in as good a shape and almost as strong as when I was in my twenties. back to a 34" waist same as high school but now have over a 10" drop from chest to waist.

I would rather be the tortoise than the hare. Not good to treat your body like a yo-yo. The goal is to find a balance that you can maintain for the rest of your life.
Congratulations on your results.

Resistance exercises work very well for diabetics.

Ed13

Resistance exercises are good for you. Earlier this year I started incorporating bands to help build strength and develop stabilizer muscles. This has helped to keep proper form while lifting weights. Bands are cheap, pack easily and can be used anywhere.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
In view of a few health issues and being a fat b&$tard I decided it is time to loose weight. So Sunday I turned over a new leaf. No more crisps, sweets and other crap. Four pieces of fruit a day and a light lunch of ryvita and this morning I have lost six pounds !!! I have also dusted off the exercise bike and been managing 8 miles in 20 minutes. Today though I upped my pace and just managed 9 miles in 20 minutes. Not too bad ! Haven’t also had an alcoholic drink, that may change tonight for a short measure !

karlc

Forum GOD!
In view of a few health issues and being a fat b&$tard I decided it is time to loose weight. So Sunday I turned over a new leaf. No more crisps, sweets and other crap. Four pieces of fruit a day and a light lunch of ryvita and this morning I have lost six pounds !!! I have also dusted off the exercise bike and been managing 8 miles in 20 minutes. Today though I upped my pace and just managed 9 miles in 20 minutes. Not too bad ! Haven’t also had an alcoholic drink, that may change tonight for a short measure !
I bought some new trousers. waist size is what I have bought for years. Tried them on and I thought "these are a bit tight...I dont think they are a size 38"...then it dawned on me that im not a size 38 anymore