Vintage Shaving Mugs

Rev 579

Über Member
How many of you have a Silver-plated shaving mugs? I was fortunate to find one that I have enjoyed using, but not necessarily in the manner it was intended.
IMG_6414.jpg

I re-knotted the brush from this state:
Silver mug&Brush1.jpegSilver mug&Brush3.jpeg

I do not soak the brush in the cup, nor do I keep soap in the soap dish. Instead, I sue the cup and holder to "store" or keep the brush. What I'd like to do is explore using it as it is intended.
If you use one, what do you do about keeping the soap in the open air? I enjoy using my GT12 scuttle too much forgo using it, especially in the winter.

R181

Grumpy old man
I have a couple of the Victorian style shaving scuttles but not the fancy plated ones. They are good for nostalgia but today when we have running water inside a house there is no real need for one. Used one once just for the experience and then put them away.

Bob

R181

Grumpy old man
Did you give any thought to keeping a soap puck in the soap tray?
Yes, I put the soap in the top. The pottery old style Victorian scuttles were one piece and the soap went up top. Some hard soap pucks are still made with rounded bottoms to fit them. Tradition dies hard I suppose. I just pressed Arko into the top and face lathered as usual. It is just as easy to use a coffee cup to hold the puck and I have water in the sink.

Bob

Rev 579

Über Member
I'd love to find creative ways to use the old mugs I have, and then let go of the ones I can't or won't. Before letting them go however, I want to exhaust my options.
All of my soaps are covered when not in use, and since I started with ToOBS creams & PDP No. 63, keeping them covered has become both practice and preference.
Here is an example from my bottom row:
Bottom Row.jpg

Last edited:

Rev 579

Über Member
I have several old porcelain scuttle mugs in my collection but no silver plated ones. I've seen them in antique stores but the sellers wanted them more than I did.
I’ve had better luck on the ‘bay than shops for the mugs. The porcelain ones do get priced high in shops.