Vintage medicine cabinet

Xring3

Forum GOD!
5C1A1481-F988-4630-BB05-2F273C72E984.jpeg
In the USA these types of medicine cabinets were common in many homes. Mounted between the wall studs they held toothbrushes, toothpaste, shaving stuff and so on. If you note in the back there is a small slot to dispose of your used razor blades. Over the years thousands of blades would accumulate causing a hidden danger. If a bathroom underwent renovation, and you tore into the walls, thousands of blades would spill out. Even worse, if you live in an area of the country prone to hurricanes or tornadoes, and it demolished your house thousands of old rusty blades would go flying to who knows where. Use care if you run into a home with one of these cabinets. Just saying.
 

TobyC

Patriot
That is very much a non-issue. They are usually found as a small lump of rusted together blades. Folks didn't use a blade a day as many wasteful folks do these days, so there would only be a few each year added to the pile. It wouldn't be thousands, maybe only a couple of hundred. I live in the US and I worked in construction mainly renovating older buildings, and it is something rarely encountered, and never seen as a concern. Just sweep it up with the rest of the construction debris.
 

Xring3

Forum GOD!
A239D5C3-80D0-4D0D-8C91-B502F96E18D6.jpeg
When I worked plumbing I ran into scenes more like this. A few years ago, in the aftermath of a tornado, some dead cattle were found with some old rusty razor blades embedded in them. It was thought the blades came from a trailer park (these are tornado magnets anyway) or homes near by that were destroyed. The cattle probably would have been killed by any number of objects but, it was interesting that they found razor blades. Perhaps where you live tornadoes are not a big thing...where I live they are.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
View attachment 54907When I worked plumbing I ran into scenes more like this. A few years ago, in the aftermath of a tornado, some dead cattle were found with some old rusty razor blades embedded in them. It was thought the blades came from a trailer park (these are tornado magnets anyway) or homes near by that were destroyed. The cattle probably would have been killed by any number of objects but, it was interesting that they found razor blades. Perhaps where you live tornadoes are not a big thing...where I live they are.
Oh there are my lost blades...! I was looking for them!
 

TobyC

Patriot
Googled "oklahoma after a tornado, dead cattle found with razor blades embedded in them", got nuthin.
 

Xring3

Forum GOD!
Googled "oklahoma after a tornado, dead cattle found with razor blades embedded in them", got nuthin.
Several years back. Can’t remember if Oklahoma or Kansas. Reported in local newspaper. May not have made national news.
 
Top