Valobra

R181

Grumpy old man
It gives off a strong smell of rancid animal fat when it goes off Bob (it’s the tallow going rancid that causes the smell). It still works perfectly well though.

Valobra unscented hard soap has a strong tallow smell to it out of the box. It’s not as offensive a tub of Cella or Vitos that has gone off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I have never smelt rancid animal fat but it could be the closest I could get to that was milk gone off. Yes, it still worked too.

Bob

MichaelS

Forum GOD!
I have a stock of hard Valobra and have owned them for the last 5 years and they’re absolutely fine. The same can be said for the Valobra made AOS and Czech & Speake soaps I own (or have owned).

I’ve had some soft Valobra for a similar period of time and that hasn’t gone off either. The only soft soaps I’ve ever had that went off are Cella and Vitos.

I can’t see that there would necessarily be any problem stocking up with them if needs be.

One hard puck and two sticks of Valobra turned yellow on me (as did Cella). The soft Valobra soap is ok, possibly because I kept it in the original plastic packaging (which is inside the paper box). So it's plastic bags for me from now on for the hard soaps too, will let you know in about a year :)

Mr Mackay

Forum GOD!
Just an update on Valobra shaving soap (if anyone cares other than me).

I was told by Czech and Speake that they will continue to sell the current formulation of shaving soaps (No.88, Oxford& Cambridge) for the next few months but had no definitive answer regarding a future reformulation.

I then messaged Valobra directly with my soap related perturbations, and was promptly and politely responded to by Ms Stefania Martelli of Ludovico Martelli srl. (Proraso)

Her reply was :

"Good evening mr. Chris.
I am Stefania Martelli from Ludovico Martelli srl.
I am glad to read your appreciation to the Valobra shaving soap and I can reassure you we share your same enthusiasm for the Valobra quality.
We will do our best to preserve such quality and, if possible, expande it.
My very best wishes to you."

Make of that what you will folks..
Thanks for taking the time to ask.:thumbsup:

I hope they really mean it about the soap quality. I'm not sure if they can improve it, though. In any case, I decided not to stock up since I have enough Valobra to last me another year.