Using Safety Razor

jony844

Veteran
I'm new to using a safety razor. When I just changed the blade, I saw the inside of the handle getting a little scummy from the shaving cream I use. What are some good ways to clean it carefully and ensure a long life for the handle?
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
For stainless, maybe less of an issue, but in another forum, we were talking about the Rockwell 6C threads (and I guess this can apply to all zamac heads), and someone suggested applying some sort of mineral oil to the threading. I assume (stress on "assume") this could apply to the handle side, too.
 

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I'm new to using a safety razor. When I just changed the blade, I saw the inside of the handle getting a little scummy from the shaving cream I use. What are some good ways to clean it carefully and ensure a long life for the handle?
I use a cotton bud to clean / dry the threaded part of the handle and a soft toothbrush for everything else, just be careful to tread the bud in and out ( twist with the direction of the thread )so you don't lose the cotton wool inside the handle! :) P.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I use a cotton bud to clean / dry the threaded part of the handle and a soft toothbrush for everything else, just be careful to tread the bud in and out ( twist with the direction of the thread )so you don't lose the cotton wool inside the handle! :) P.
I tried a different method. I took a toothpick and put it inside a handkerchief. Then twist it around the toothpick and put it inside the hole of the handle. Turn it around some times, brought out all the dirt from the inside the handle. Repeat with a cotton bud, comes out totally clean.
 
Top