UEFA Champions League

Thug

Let's talk about 6, Baby.
With Liverpool destroying Hoffenheim last night in the 2nd leg, there will now be 5 English teams in this afternoons draw as well as the Scottish Champions, Celtic.

As Premiership Champions, Chelsea will be in Pot 1, Pot 2 will contain both Manchester clubs, Pot 3 will have Liverpool and Spurs and Pot 4 will have Celtic.

The draw takes place this afternoon at 17:00.

Pots.jpg

Thug

So the draw was made and some interesting fixtures have been thrown up.

Of all the British teams, Liverpool look to have the easiest ties, followed closely by United. Spurs have a tough group but should get through if they beat Dortmund. Chelsea also have a tough group as do City.

Group A: Benfica (POR), Manchester United (ENG), Basel (SUI), CSKA Moskva (RUS)
Group B: Bayern München (GER), Paris Saint-Germain (FRA), Anderlecht (BEL), Celtic (SCO)
Group C: Chelsea (ENG), Atlético Madrid (ESP), Roma (ITA), Qarabağ (AZE)
Group D: Juventus (ITA), Barcelona (ESP), Olympiacos (GRE), Sporting CP (POR)
Group E: Spartak Moskva (RUS), Sevilla (ESP), Liverpool (ENG), Maribor (SVN)
Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR), Manchester City (ENG), Napoli (ITA), Feyenoord (NED)
Group G: Monaco (FRA), Porto (POR), Beşiktaş (TUR), RB Leipzig (GER)
Group H: Real Madrid (ESP, holders), Borussia Dortmund (GER), Tottenham Hotspur (ENG), APOEL (CYP)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Spurs fan, it's going to be a hard fight, but a great platform for our boys to shine. Inevitably it will always be in the front window.

dadant

Forum GOD!
These are the top 32 teams in Europe, no fixture will be easy.
Well that isn't strictly true is it, most of pot 4 is full of teams from minor leagues and I'd swap with Liverpool or Utd anytime. As the English teams cannot play each other our full quota ensured there was less chance of avoiding the most difficult teams and little advantage being a top seed as it so proved.

Thug

Well that isn't strictly true is it, most of pot 4 is full of teams from minor leagues and I'd swap with Liverpool or Utd anytime. As the English teams cannot play each other our full quota ensured there was less chance of avoiding the most difficult teams and little advantage being a top seed as it so proved.
You are correct.
There is a school of thought that only the Champions of the respective leagues should qualify but as you well know, money now dictates the game.

Lann

Forum GOD!
You are correct.
There is a school of thought that only the Champions of the respective leagues should qualify but as you well know, money now dictates the game.
I completly agree. Those days are well and truly over I'm afraid. The Champions League format is skewed in favour of the bigger teams for certain but I do think that the current structure is more attractive and more difficult to win than just the Champions from each league in the European Federation however.

For example in 1978 Liverpool won the European cup by beating four teams Dynamo Dresden, Benfica, Borussia Monchengladbach and finally Brugge in the final - a total of 7 matches. In 2005 they played 13 matches in total beating teams like Deportivo de la Corunia Juventus Chelsea and finally Milan in the final. Teams competing for the title in 4 of the 5 strongest leagues in Europe.

bambrit

Forum GOD!
and then there was only One British team left, The Reds! Next game, semi-1st leg, Liverpool vs. Roma April 24th.

Don't want to jinx it but appears Mo Salah wants it bad and it goes without saying that with all the Lego building that Klopp's been doing this last little while, He wants and needs a title under his belt.

Thug

Woohoo, 8th Champions League final.

Was nervy as hell but we got the job done. The scoreline flattered Roma with that dodgy penalty and Milner's own goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk