Treating wooden handle

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
28E57DA9-AE95-4091-AE82-5B127701518F.png
Got this Gem Junior bar and wanting to treat the handle ,Going to leave it in this condition to show its age but needing to waterproof it ,Yacht varnish the best ?looking for recommendations , please move if required probably should be in Restorations
 
Last edited:

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
View attachment 48015 Got this Gem Junior bar and wanting to treat the handle ,Going to leave it in this condition to show its age but needing to waterproof it ,Yacht varnish the best ?looking for recommendations , please move if required probably should be in Restorations
If it's not likely to be used very often I would just apply a few coats of Renaissnce wax , it will look more natural and protect it from occasional water contact. P.
 

Acer89

James
If the wood is bare and untreated I'd use a few coats of Osmo wood protector. Followed by a two coats of Osmo polyx to seal. You can buy polyx in sample 5ml sachets in either gloss, sheen or matte finish. The handle can then be maintained with the occasional buff using Renaissance wax

Osmo wood protector HERE
OSMO_UK_Retail_-_2018-07-16_11.10.02.jpg



Polyx Samples 5mm in various finishes HERE
s-l300.jpg



Yacht varnish would also work but it does make the wood look highly artificial. Personally, I hate yacht varnish/

Never use any of the above on a waxed or oiled surface. The wood needs to be bare to achieve the best result.

Here's one I restored for a friend using the above mentioned materials
Image1a.jpg


romfinal1.jpg


DSC_5569.jpg
 
Last edited:

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
If the wood is bare and untreated I'd use a few coats of Osmo wood protector. Followed by a two coats of Osmo polyx to seal. You can buy polyx in sample 5ml sachets in either gloss, sheen or matte finish. The handle can then be maintained with the occasional buff using Renaissance wax

Osmo wood protector HERE
View attachment 48022


Polyx Samples 5mm in various finishes HERE
View attachment 48023


Yacht varnish would also work but it does make the wood look highly artificial. Personally, I hate yacht varnish/

Never use any of the above on a waxed or oiled surface. The wood needs to be bare to achieve the best result.

Here's one I restored for a friend using the above mentioned materials
View attachment 48026

View attachment 48024

View attachment 48025
Great advice ,Thanks
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
If the wood is bare and untreated I'd use a few coats of Osmo wood protector. Followed by a two coats of Osmo polyx to seal. You can buy polyx in sample 5ml sachets in either gloss, sheen or matte finish. The handle can then be maintained with the occasional buff using Renaissance wax

Osmo wood protector HERE
View attachment 48022


Polyx Samples 5mm in various finishes HERE
View attachment 48023


Yacht varnish would also work but it does make the wood look highly artificial. Personally, I hate yacht varnish/

Never use any of the above on a waxed or oiled surface. The wood needs to be bare to achieve the best result.

Here's one I restored for a friend using the above mentioned materials
View attachment 48026

View attachment 48024

View attachment 48025
My Dad uses Osmo products. Swears by it. :okay:
 
Top