Todays Restore

Gasman

Forum GOD!
I had a "new to Straight Razors" guy get a hold of me. He found me thru another site. He had broken the scales on an Imperial Straight Razor. Well, I happen to have 16 Imperials in my collection. One of my favorite razors. I had dressed them all in exotic wood scales and had one set of the Rubber original scales left over. So he came over and handed me this rusty broken razor. LOL.

I did a bit of sanding and polishing and then hit it with the buffer. Put it in the new scales and pinned and buffed them. I think he will be pleasantly serprised...

20190408_173104.jpg
20190408_173038.jpg

Dust and hairs on that towel. I think its time to wash it. I got the razor honed up to 20k and will test shave in the morning before work.

BTW, I found out he is using a Van Der Hagen Boar brush. The only one he owns. So I loaned him a Badger and a Synthetic brush to play with. Next is to push some real soaps on him!

Last edited:

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
I had a "new to Straight Razors" guy get a hold of me. He found me thru another site. He had broken the scales on an Imperial Straight Razor. Well, I happen to have 16 Imperials in my collection. One of my favorite razors. I had dressed them all in exotic wood scales and had one set of the Rubber original scales left over. So he came over and handed me this rusty broken razor. LOL.

I did a bit of sanding and polishing and then hit it with the buffer. Put it in the new scales and pinned and buffed them. I think he will be pleasantly serprised...

View attachment 46078 View attachment 46079

Dust and hairs on that towel. I think its time to wash it. I got the razor honed up to 20k and will test shave in the morning before work.

BTW, I found out he is using a Van Der Hagen Boar brush. The only one he owns. So I loaned him a Badger and a Synthetic brush to play with. Next is to push some real soaps on him!
Amazing work :notworthy: do you have any pictures of what state it was in before you worked your magic

Gasman

Forum GOD!
No, I don't. I have the hardest time getting before pics. It was mainly surface rust and oxidized. So the sanding was done with synthetic Steelwool and polish. It's not perfect as it has some pitting on the tang still, but with a little elbow grease and the right tools... Even this old guy can do it.

Gasman

Forum GOD!
I will try harder to get before pics. For now you just have to take my word for it. Sorry.

Gasman

Forum GOD!
Oh no. I wasnt saying that. I just got to thinking that without any before pics a guy could grab up anything and say he did it. As the saying goes... Pics, or it didnt happen. Lol

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Oh no. I wasnt saying that. I just got to thinking that without any before pics a guy could grab up anything and say he did it. As the saying goes... Pics, or it didnt happen. Lol
Lol I hear ya, and now i'll be biting for Before and After pics on the next project :wink:

Gasman

Forum GOD!
You got it!
This might help me to remember the before pics.
Maybe. Ha. I just get excited for a new project i forget.
Thank you for the push to take before pics.

Gasman

Forum GOD!
It's my weekend again. And this means the honey-do list during the day and another restore for me in the evening.
AND, I remembered to take a couple of pics. Not a lot of before stuff, but enough you can get the idea. :woot:I remembered! LOL.
Two Straights, Both Full Hollow, 11/16, German, Vulcanized Rubber Scales and spike points.
Both blades have some hone wear and pitting that I wasn't able to get out. You got to watch out when sanding these thin blades.

#1: The Hilmar Hand Forged had no scales, so I dug thru my Scales box and came up with 2 that were close as far as pin holes, but the shapes were different. So they were going to need reshaped and sanded down. Also one of the scales had faded to the ugly brown color. I dug up a white plastic wedge out of my box to go with it. After reshaping the scales and wedge to match I knew the pins would be close to the outer edge of the scales, but they are repurposed scales so you work with what you got.
#2 The A. Field & CO Model 2013 had some scales that had file marks where someone had been playing with the pinheads and missed. It also has a lead wedge.

20190414_153628.jpg
20190414_153548.jpg

So, after a lot of scale sanding and polishing...
The Hilmar got silver/nic pins and homemade collars. The A. Field got A.J. Kenney Flower collars and Brass pins.
Both are ready for the hones next.
#1:
H1.jpg
H2.jpg

That mark on the bottom of the blade face is a reflection of something. It's not really a stain on the blade.

H3.jpg