TOBS aftershave

Discussion in 'Fragrance, Cologne and Scents' started by Nishy, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

I decided I should run through my TOBS range of fragrances this week. These are the earlier versions of aftershave, as opposed to the colognes sold today (which are apparently the same strength as the older aftershaves). I don't hear too much about TOBS aftershaves and I find their bouquets to be well rounded and with complexity.

The only negatives I have with regards to the aftershaves is the steel cap. This often rusts and takes away from the lovely glass bottle and design. Also Jermain Street (alcohol free) being quite viscous tends to block the diffuser.

I have the following aftershaves:
    Eton college
    Jermain Street
    Mr Taylors
    Victorian Limes
    No.74
    Mr. Sidney (no longer in production)
    St. James

Having used each extensively I can tell you my favourite scent is tied between Eton College and Mr. Sidney. Eton being fresh, fruity and light. Your looking at a similar footing to Aqua Di Gio. Where as Mr. Sidney is manly. Notes of bay rum but clean, understated clove, heavy bodied, rugged.
    The perfect day and night combination and they do last at least 4 hours.

My least favourite is Jermyn Street. I find the consistency far too oily being alcohol free and the scent is good but not great, quite a sweet cologne to my nose. Many others put Jermyn street as their number one so as always YMMV. Sandalwood is the only scent I don't own.

So today was the turn of Eton college. Beautiful fragrance. I get a heavy floral note cut by citrus. Light warm woods and a slight aqua note in the background. I do put it in the same family as Aqua Di Gio and CKOne. Pairs very well with the Eufros ATG LE. Lasted for 4 hours on my person. Superb performance for an aftershave. Nice sting on application but leaves the skin feeling excellent.

Tomorrow will be Jermyn Street which should be interesting in this heat.

Dr Watson, Dipesh, halvor and 2 others like this.
  2. Nishy

Well yesterday was the turn of Jermyn Street alcohol free aftershave. I have to eat my words. It was not coming across as overly sweet. I quite enjoyed the complex scent profile. I still have issues with the oily base in that it stains shirts. A strange note does exist which I can't quite put my finger on. Similar to Geranium but not quite as floral?? Longevity is very good , at least 4 hours wear. Diffuser definitely has issues.

ManicDee and Dipesh like this.
  3. Nishy

Today I wore Victorian Limes. This is my favourite lime scent. It is bitter, similar to lime skin. Definitely no opal fruit/stardust sweet lime in this bottle. It also worryingly causes the lid to rust the quickest. I have had two bottles the first I complained about (just due to the lid) and TOBS Kindly sent out a replacement without charge or hassle. Back to the scent. Bitter lime and a sharp zesty lime note on top. It dries to a woody lime fragrance. Unfortunately this particular line has the shortest longevity of the collection around 2 hours wear max. Such a shame that their lemon & lime shaving cream isn't based on this.

Dipesh and bandito like this.
  4. Nishy

Today brings out the hairy chested and calloused ridden hands of Mr. Taylor. This aftershave is the way forward, skipping puberty and heading straight for manhood. Even a 10 year old could pull off 'man' status when wearing this elixir. Superb performance, approx 6 hours as of current, on my person and still emanating strongly. Cedar, lavender, geranium, bergamot and leather are all apparent to my nose. Absorbs well, not oily, wonderful stuff.

Dipesh, bandito and halvor like this.
  5. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

Mr Taylor is good stuff, it's my favourite after Harris sandalwood.

Nishy likes this.
  6. Shavebadger

Shavebadger Veteran

@Nishy excellent reviews!! What would u recommend as a daily aftershave thats under £50 I work in a laboratory so nothing too overwhelming but sometimes that is pleasant and lingers

Nishy likes this.
  7. Nishy

Thank you for the kind comments. Aftershaves that I would recommend, considering your circumstances include:
    Pitralon Classic
    Speick is excellent for the face but the scent lasts less than hour on me.
    Proraso is also a brilliant classic aftershave
    Florida water unique cola esq scent
    Pinaud Clubman is a lightly stronger profile on opening as is Floid Black or Vigaroso. All three settle, with Pinaud lingering the longest.
    From the TOBS range, no.74 and St. James are the lighter profiled aftershaves. Eton College may be worth a try too, stronger but not overwhelming.
    Many aftershaves use menthol, one reason is to amplify the scent, TOBS do not contain menthol, yet still linger well.

Shavebadger likes this.
  8. Shavebadger

Shavebadger Veteran

Thank you... @Nishy I did like the sounds of Eton college, think I may give that a try out, I'm currently using Dr Harris Arlington as a splash but I fades so quickly the scent is fantastic

Nishy likes this.
  9. Nishy

Arlington is a superb scent. Unfortunately I too find it to last a short time. Eton college lasts longer but is heavier and more pronounced.

10. Shavebadger

Shavebadger Veteran

It's on my hit list.... Do you know a good vendor?

11. Nishy

To be honest I haven't looked of recent. TOBS have their own website and are great with any customer service issue.

Shavebadger likes this.
  12. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

TOBS #74 is/was my favourite AS. I haven't had need to buy a new bottle and the 'one strength fits all' reformulation has me concerned. The staff are ver y nice to talk online with and I actually pronounce JERMYN correctly.

Dr Watson likes this.
  13. I don't think I have ever tried a TOBS aftershave! Shocking I know!:eek:
    After a splendid write up @Nishy I believe one may be on the cards..not bought a splash for a little while..the last was AV Ice Blue.

Nishy likes this.
  14. ManicDee

ManicDee Forum GOD!

I just found this section Nishy. Tobs "Jermain Street" was the first shaving cream I ever tried and I bought the aftershave too.
    Funnily, I also bought the Eton but hated it and binned it a week before joining ATG.
    I mean who in their right mind would want to buy a second hand aftershave..:facepalm: :banghead: :happy:

Nishy likes this.
  15. Nishy

Haha a perfect example of YMMV, I absolutely love the scent of Eton College. Especially the dry down, after a couple of hours. I just wish they still produced Mr. Sidney (original version). May have to get Manuel to have a sniff and see what he can do at some point.

ManicDee likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice