To bloom or not to bloom

D

Deleted member 1881

I was trying to start a new argument branch and get two going on in the same thread, but Wayne was too good, spotted it and closed me down.
He runs a tight ship the Captain Wayne Sparrow ahh!
Hehe more and more people want to mess with Wayne?! I don't recommend it. .. :) :)

ronald

Depends on the soap tbh....MWF? Yes, I bloom that. I find that P+B Pall Mall doesn't need blooming to perform well, however Kerry suggests to bloom the soap in his videos (see 4:10 in the below video) so I let it bloom too.

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
Often, I’ll give the soap a couple of sprays of water from a bottle, just to “prime” the surface. I’ll do this 5–10 minutes before loading. It seems like a good idea, especially with older soaps that might be a little dry. I keep track of soap consumption (by weight) and haven’t really noticed a difference between blooming or not.

AkisT

Never bloomed a soap - i consider it a lot of product being lost (my 1/4 cheapskate Scottish heritage prevails -thanks Mom :D )
Usually i add a little drop of warm water and start lathering - and that is only for the hard triple milled.
Since i personally like the instant-lather-effect that most of my favourite soaps provide (Tabac,MdC, Haslinger etc) , i think that having to bloom a soap in order to produce a good amount of lather is seriously messing with my Zen.
And that's mostly the reason i ditched soaps like the (horribly reformulated) Williams and G.F.T.

D

Deleted member 1881

Depends on the soap tbh....MWF? Yes, I bloom that. I find that P+B Pall Mall doesn't need blooming to perform well, however Kerry suggests to bloom the soap in his videos (see 4:10 in the below video) so I let it bloom too.

If you decide to bloom this aqua-beast, then be prepared to add the double amount of water to dilute the consistency of this excellent artisan soap.

Or to avoid this, start with a wetter brush like Kerry does. Ten swirls are more than enough.

I think he knows how to lather well this soap(!). Of course not better than me, but he tries... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1881

IMO any soap worthy of the name should work perfectly if you just go at the dry puck with a damp brush, if it needs faffed with first it's not good enough.

Yer granddad didn't bloom his soap. :D
My grandad was so stingy that he was using the toilet paper from both sides..

If you don't believe @AkisT here is the proof...

TomG

Forum GOD!
I bloom pretty much all my soaps and croaps with a very thin top layer of hot water.
The bloom water is then used in the lathering process.
The only exceptions are the very soft croaps, such as Declaration Grooming and CRSW Glide.

TobyC

Patriot
IMO any soap worthy of the name should work perfectly if you just go at the dry puck with a damp brush, if it needs faffed with first it's not good enough.

Yer granddad didn't bloom his soap. :D
My grandpappy definitely tweren't no bloomer! And he'd kick yer arse for saying otherwise! :laugh: