To bloom or not to bloom

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Wayne, Jan 29, 2019.

  1. Wayne

    Wayne Forum Sod

    Location:
    Yorkshire
    That is the question?
     
    RandySp and TobyC like this.
  2. MntnMan62

    MntnMan62 Über Member

    Location:
    New Jersey
    Nope. Never. That said I don’t have Williams. I’d probably bloom Williams.....maybe......and maybe not.
     
    TobyC and R181 like this.
  3. Grarea

    Grarea Forum Plod

    Whether tis nobler in the sinks
     
    Wayne likes this.
  4. Rowlers

    Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

    Sometimes I do, other times I forget (or simply do not think about it), I don't think it makes any difference with the soaps that I use..
    Even MWF!
     
    RandySp, TobyC, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  5. MPH

    MPH Forum GOD!

    Location:
    Norfolk
    Yep. I bloom it whilst in shower\bath and soak my badger brush too. Both, are apparently no actual use, but I swear it makes the brush nicer on the face and the soap easier to load.
     
    missingskin and Wayne like this.
  6. sɐǝɹpu∀

    sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

    Location:
    London
    The standard wishy-washy answer is of course:
    Whatever works best for you.
    Personally, I don't bother. Blooming saves a little time when loading the brush.
    I'm not short of time when shaving.
     
    TobyC, Wayne and R181 like this.
  7. Dr Watson

    Dr Watson The Other James

    Location:
    West Sussex
    If triple milled it gets a ceremonial 30 seconds under water whilst I wet my brush and face, otherwise no.
     
    Tommo, Wayne and R181 like this.
  8. TobyC

    TobyC Chili Dog

    Location:
    The Loonie Bin
  9. R181

    R181 Grumpy old man

    About 98% of the time no and the other 2% yes only when it is necessary for me to get it to load and lather well.

    Bob
     
    Wayne likes this.
  10. chris.hale

    chris.hale Forum GOD!

    Location:
    Cumbria, England
    Never, don’t see the point. If I wanted mushy soap I’d be using cream.
     
    Paul L, Mrchick, Wayne and 2 others like this.
  11. TobyC

    TobyC Chili Dog

    Location:
    The Loonie Bin
    Yes, that's the correct answer! :highfive: :thumbsup:
     
    Wayne and DamianJ like this.
  12. DamianJ

    DamianJ Forum GOD!

    Location:
    Yorkshire
    No I don't either, I don't see the point personally as the soaps I use all load easily anyway.
     
    TobyC and Wayne like this.
  13. Stonec0ld

    Stonec0ld Über Member

    Location:
    Sheffield
    I do, always have. I feel like it releases the scent of the soap more
     
    JonnyBGood, Steve Bowles and Wayne like this.
  14. halvor

    halvor Esquire

    Location:
    Norway
    Well, that’s a coincidence. Just this morning I pulled out a vintage Williams. And yes it was bloomed.

    I have experimented with blooming and find that with some soaps, it speeds up the lather building process, with others it improves the lather all over, while with yet others it makes for too rich and dense a lather (or I should simply have loaded less) or no difference at all. Usually not so much full soaking as wetting the surface, though. A tablespoon or so works for me :thumbsup:
     
    Matsilainen, R181 and Wayne like this.
  15. FSword

    FSword Senior Member

    Location:
    Greece
    I rarely bloom... Was doing it more often when started wet shaving but didn't see much difference so I seldomly do it now. In general I try to keep it simple :)
     
    TobyC, R181 and Wayne like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice