Timeless Razor question.

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Hi All,
Can someone please help, is there anyone out there that owns a Timeless 0.95 or 0.68 (stainless or Ti) straight or scalloped bar & a Rockwell 6s
that could compare the 2 Timeless baseplates to the equivalent feeling or aggression to a Rockwell R plate rating?

I rarely use R1,R2,R5 & R6. Mainly R3 & R4.

If there are no owners of both then maybe someone who has a Rex Ambassador that could equate the setting numbers on that as I have
one of them.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Last edited:

Paul L

Forum GOD!
I don't have a Rockwell 6S, but I have a 6C.
I would imagine they shave very similarly?

My Timeless 0.68 SS Scalloped shaves a little closer than the R4 plate - somewhere between R4 & R5.

The 6C is very smooth, but the Timeless turns the smoothness up a notch.

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
I don't have a Rockwell 6S, but I have a 6C.
I would imagine they shave very similarly?

My Timeless 0.68 SS Scalloped shaves a little closer than the R4 plate - somewhere between R4 & R5.

The 6C is very smooth, but the Timeless turns the smoothness up a notch.
Many thanks Paul. I would say the 6C is identical. This has been most helpful & I appreciate your reply 👍

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Timeless 0.68mm Ti scalloped shaves in between Rockwell 6S plate #3 and #4 (more towards #4 actually).
Timeless 00.68mm ss is slightly more aggressive, and goes to Rockwell 6S plate #4 'plus' (as Paul mentioned).

Timeless 0.95mm Ti should be in the territory of Rockwell plate #5 or #6, if my memory serves me well.
Timeless 0.95mm ss, in a similar pattern, goes slightly beyond that, i.e. should be closer to Rockwell plate #6.

Plenty of aggressive razor wet shavers here who do own the Timeless 0.95mm in either metal version, and they should be able to easily confirm or correct the above.

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Timeless 0.68mm Ti scalloped shaves in between Rockwell 6S plate #3 and #4 (more towards #4 actually).
Timeless 00.68mm ss is slightly more aggressive, and goes to Rockwell 6S plate #4 'plus' (as Paul mentioned).

Timeless 0.95mm Ti should be in the territory of Rockwell plate #5 or #6, if my memory serves me well.
Timeless 0.95mm ss, in a similar pattern, goes slightly beyond that, i.e. should be closer to Rockwell plate #6.

Plenty of aggressive razor wet shavers here who do own the Timeless 0.95mm in either metal version, and they should be able to easily confirm or correct the above.
That's great! Thank you very much. :thumbsup:

I am glad I asked here now. The 0.68 seems to be what I would prefer.

carbold

Carlo
Having had the 6S and the Timeless in Ti and SS, I would broadly agree with @N_Architect.
Timeless 0.95mm SS corresponds maybe to a #6 , the titanium version for some reason a bit milder but still #5
I remember the 6S being a bit rough compared to the Timeless, but it was a long time ago.

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Having had the 6S and the Timeless in Ti and SS, I would broadly agree with @N_Architect.
Timeless 0.95mm SS corresponds maybe to a #6 , the titanium version for some reason a bit milder but still #5
I remember the 6S being a bit rough compared to the Timeless, but it was a long time ago.
Thanks Carlo for taking the time to reply. That's good to hear :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for letting me know. I will definitely go for .68 if (read when!) I order one
My pleasure. The Timeless is a great razor. I think the Rockwell 6S and the Timeless in a collection is a perfect pair of razors to have. For me the 6S is a great travel razor as it is so versatile. Best of luck with your new Timeless!:)

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
So, on the strength of the valuable knowledge in this thread regarding my Timeless razor query I heeded all the members advice here & ordered the razor.
Thank you all for your input & I am very grateful to you all.

Choosing the 0.68 baseplate and styling it I went with what was influenced by the Rockwell 6S. The 'industrial tool look' going with a matt finish & smooth design on the cap & bar. Also a short handle with their barber pole pattern. I suppose it could be classed as a Timeless version or rival of a 6S.

Maiden shave tomorrow with a review to follow.

Here is an unboxing slideshow > > >

20201028_104116.jpg

20201028_104343.jpg

20201028_104810.jpg

20201028_134535.jpg

20201028_134553.jpg

Last edited:

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
My Timeless Review

Being very familiar with the 6S on plates R3 & R4 my brain was locked onto the memory of how that razor feels and performs.
The Timeless weighs in at 132g & my S6 at 118g so a significant difference, pulling heavier towards the handle with the Timeless compared when holding them both.

RazorWeights.PNG

At the moment blessed with clear skin so the stars are aligned for a perfect test.
This is going to sound a bit dramatic but I can’t put it any other way. My mind has been blown & the highest of expectations have been exceeded.
Like a portal to another dimension of performance that has been revealed. An enlightening experience.
I’m not the same person as I was 30 minutes ago.

Now to the shave.

Prepping with a face wash using Wickham 1912 Glycerine (Shamrock Tweed) on a good 1.5mm plus growth. Whipped up some matching Wickham 1912 in a
bowl and loaded the Timeless with a new Astra Superior Platinum. It took no longer than the initial 3 or 4 strokes to realise the efficiency/aggression exactly as described by the members here in this thread. Perceived as around an R4 Rockwell rating.
To tell you I was relieved is an understatement.
The smooth action of the shave is palpable, the precision of this instrument really is felt in the intuition, handling & comfort as you work through the shave.
It really is off the scale fantastic.

All the components have to ultimately perform to their best & I don’t know whether luck had me pick all the right products today to produce a nick/irritation free,
3 pass and a minor pickup uber bbs shave first time out but if this is how future shaves are going to go with this razor then this is something else for me.

I only came across Timeless by seeing the members SOTD’s here on ATG & just liking the look of the pieces so it was more of a lust purchase.
I baulked at the price & got a hefty import duty smack in the nose too which stung for while but that has all melted away. There is a reason they cost what they do.
I know now & they are worth every penny.

Last edited:

Paul L

Forum GOD!
My Timeless Review

Being very familiar with the 6S on plates R3 & R4 my brain was locked onto the memory of how that razor feels and performs.
My S6 weighs in at 118g & the Timeless at 132g so a significant difference, pulling in heavier in the handle with the Timeless.

Now to the shave.

At the moment blessed with clear skin so the stars are aligned for a perfect test.
This is going to sound a bit dramatic but I can’t put it any other way. My mind has been blown & the highest of expectations have been exceeded.
Like a portal to another dimension of performance has been revealed. An enlightening experience.
I’m not the same person as I was 30 minutes ago.

Prepping with a face wash using Wickham 1912 Glycerine (Shamrock Tweed) on a good 1.5mm plus growth. Whipped up some matching Wickham 1912 in a
bowl and locked & loaded the Timeless with a new Astra Superior Platinum. It took no longer than the initial 3 or 4 strokes to realise & lock onto
the efficiency/aggression exactly as described by the members here in this thread. Perceived as around an R4 Rockwell rating.
To tell you I was relieved was an understatement.
The smooth action of the shave is palpable, the precision of this instrument really is felt in the intuition, handling & comfort as you work through the shave.
It really is off the scale fantastic.

All the components have to ultimately perform to their best. I don’t know whether luck had me pick all the right products today to produce a nick/irritation free,
3 pass and a minor pickup uber bbs shave but if this is how future shaves are going to go with this razor then this is something else for me.

I only came across Timeless by seeing the members SOTD’s & just liking the look of the pieces so it was more of a lust purchase.
I baulked at the price & got a hefty import duty smack in the nose too which stung for while but that has all melted away. There is a reason they cost what they do.
I know now & they are worth every penny.
Feeling somewhat responsible for your Timeless purchase, I'm pleased for you !
My 0.68 is just how you describe yours.
You might like to try Gillette Silver Blue and Platinum blades too - They offer more smoothness over the Astra SP