This may have been addressed before

les24preludes

Legendary Member
I’ve some really nice 35mm cameras and lenses too (Leica SLR, Contax...). I've been out of film for years, and if anyone is interested in sending me a PM, I need to sell them.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
My old man used to be a professional photographer and my box bedroom became his developing room! Thinking back I spent many a happy hour in there with him. A red bulbed tiny room with timers buzzing their alarm, as images appeared out of nothing on with glossy paper.

Xring3

Über Member
My old man used to be a professional photographer and my box bedroom became his developing room! Thinking back I spent many a happy hour in there with him. A red bulbed tiny room with timers buzzing their alarm, as images appeared out of nothing on with glossy paper.
I worked 33 years in lithograph prepress. Color separation, color camera, darkroom and film assembly. All gone now and an entire area of the printing industry decimated. Computer and internet ended it. Those were good days that are gone forever.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
My dad started out with Pathe News in Soho, London as a film editor in the early sixties. When he was there, he and another chap Dick Pope used to collect and make stock film and sell them to film companies.
Dad, was telling me this and that about those days and I asked him, do you still stay in touch with ?
"Oh no, son. Jim, is too famous now!" Who is he? I asked.
He is Mike Leigh's editor :eek:!

But my dad has worked with few well knowns as well. Director John Bormann, Author Frederick Forsyth, Actors Patrick Steward, Daniel Day Lewis and more recently, he was a body double/dead body for Ian McElhinney in the BBC show "Redwater"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30

I’ve some really nice 35mm cameras and lenses. Does anyone still take film photos?
Still active as a hobby film photographer and plan to get set up again to process b&w films and produce cyanotype prints.

I'm also the founder/owner of Millys Cameras, which celebrates 10 years in business next year.

My dad started out with Pate News in Soho, London as a film editor in the early sixties.
Pate? Or Pathe? I never heard of Pate which is why I ask Si.

I worked 33 years in lithograph prepress. Color separation, color camera, darkroom and film assembly. All gone now and an entire area of the printing industry decimated. Computer and internet ended it. Those were good days that are gone forever.
:eek: Some skills there, who did you work for Xring3? Film assembly interests me, tell me more Xring3, what did this entail? Do you still use your cameras?

Nisse

Old geezer
Digital made life so much easier from photo to publishing, no itch at all to load my old Nikon gear and shoot film again.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Pate? Or Pathe? I never heard of Pate which is why I ask Si.
Sorry Darron,
It was "Pathe" News https://www.britishpathe.com/ . It was very popular before 1970, when people used to go to the cinema to get their news, My Dad was a film editor and later worked with Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTE - the Irish equivalent of the BBC). It was also Dick pope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Pope_(cinematographer) who he worked with him. Dick was a cinematographer who worked with director Mike Leigh. Which I have also corrected, Sorry my mistake.

D

Deleted member 30

Sorry Darron,
It was "Pathe" News https://www.britishpathe.com/ . It was very popular before 1970, when people used to go to the cinema to get their news, My Dad was a film editor and later worked with Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTE - the Irish equivalent of the BBC). It was also Dick pope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Pope_(cinematographer) who he worked with him. Dick was a cinematographer who worked with director Mike Leigh. Which I have also corrected, Sorry my mistake.
I could spend hours going through the Pathe archives, very interesting and nice looking back at how life and what was news back then. Kudos to your Dad Si. :)

JamieM

Forum GOD!
Personally, I'm more than pleased to have moved away from 35mm, I did enjoy developing and printing in the darkroom, I remember only to well-doing my A-Levels in photography, but Digital for me offers far more freedom like throwing off the chains that came with 35mm photography, no more chemicals no more dark-room no more film. PS having said that I did come from a Fine Art background so painting sculpture & design certainly helped, and taking my A-Levels in photography gave me a very good technical understanding.

Last edited: