This isn’t normal for a soap is it?

D

Deleted member 1881

I will post a picture of my Asian Plum later..

It is bought in June 2019.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Keep the next one in the refrigerator? :meh:

I like simple soaps that have been around for awhile, hard pucks or sticks, never had one go bad.
I seem to largely use sticks and the ones I have don't really have covers, so the issue of covering them doesn't really apply! And my soaps that do have lids, have been repurposed to hold samples so they aren't covered either!

Good to hear the situation has been resolved for the OP.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I decided to try scraping the top of the soap off just to see if it was only that top layer affected and, yikes, there’s nastiness through the entire puck as you’ll see. So yep that’s going in the bin!

DDE4B3E5-A00E-4E36-B0AE-8FB0DD9716D3.jpeg

TobyC

Patriot
I seem to largely use sticks and the ones I have don't really have covers, so the issue of covering them doesn't really apply! And my soaps that do have lids, have been repurposed to hold samples so they aren't covered either!

Good to hear the situation has been resolved for the OP.
I have a handmade crock/bowl with a non-airtight lid that I keep my soap in. I usually put a puck in there, but sometimes press a stick in it and use it like a puck. I lather on top of the soap and just cover and put away when I'm done. That's the old school minimalist way of doing things, no extra lather bowl, and no waste of soap.

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
A lot of these high fat artisan soaps have little or no preservative. They are nice soaps but swirling around a brush in them and putting them away wet is asking for trouble. Use a popsicle stick or something to scrape out what you need and put it on your brush and face lather or put it in a bowl and bowl lather. Keep the soap in the container dry. I've seen other pics like this on various forums.

As others have said, commercial soaps will never have this issue. They usually have a preservative or are so dry and non super fatted there is nothing to feed bacteria.

Last edited:

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Just to update you all I’ve been speaking with Peter about it, who has been very cool with me and is sending a replacement etc. This was his explanation for the discolouration:

“I’m gonna take a look later. I think I know what the issue is. We had only one mixer and sometimes need to mix by hand when adding oils to make the scent. If it’s done by hand, you have to make sure the soap is not cooling down and work quickly, otherwise, it’ll start to clump and oils for the scent won’t penetrate those little bits. Asian Plum starts to get darker, but if little bits started to harden before then there will be variations and you’ll perhaps see bits which are lighter. I’m certain that’s what it is. Our business has grown so much, I had to buy an additional mixer. At certain points I have the family helping with the mixing. Regardless, I’ll send another one. BTW, if you were to remelt , it would all blend nicely.”

It makes sense as it doesn’t seem like mould. It’s consistent through the entire puck. To be honest, it also seems like the superfatted stuff has settled in there.

D

Deleted member 1881

Just to update you all I’ve been speaking with Peter about it, who has been very cool with me and is sending a replacement etc. This was his explanation for the discolouration:

“I’m gonna take a look later. I think I know what the issue is. We had only one mixer and sometimes need to mix by hand when adding oils to make the scent. If it’s done by hand, you have to make sure the soap is not cooling down and work quickly, otherwise, it’ll start to clump and oils for the scent won’t penetrate those little bits. Asian Plum starts to get darker, but if little bits started to harden before then there will be variations and you’ll perhaps see bits which are lighter. I’m certain that’s what it is. Our business has grown so much, I had to buy an additional mixer. At certain points I have the family helping with the mixing. Regardless, I’ll send another one. BTW, if you were to remelt , it would all blend nicely.”

It makes sense as it doesn’t seem like mould. It’s consistent through the entire puck. To be honest, it also seems like the superfatted stuff has settled in there.
It is not mould, but Peter let his kids mixing the soap. That's why the result was not that good.

D

Deleted member 1881

Btw I think you should leave more time the soaps to dry like me and Cobra.

Rinse it well and let it at least 24h. Sometimes 48.