This isn’t normal for a soap is it?

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
FF2CC581-6DBA-4A17-A533-BA64765149BC.jpeg

This is Ariana and Evans, Asian Plum. Used a few times and bought not long ago brand new. Is this mould?

The white stuff is from just lathering it so I’m not counting that. Doesn’t smell off at all either.

Last edited:

honeywoodjohn

Forum GOD!
Did you dry it out after use? I normally keep mine upside down over the unscrewed lid for a good few hours to allow any liquid to drain away and then keep it the right way up without the lid for at least 12 hours on to allow it to dry properly.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Did you dry it out after use? I normally keep mine upside down over the unscrewed lid for a good few hours to allow any liquid to drain away and then keep it the right way up without the lid for at least 12 hours on to allow it to dry properly.
Yeah I always leave the lid off for at least half a day before putting it back on. Never had any of my soaps do this but I also can’t tell if it isn’t just hardened soap that sort of splintered a little.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Just as an update, spoke to Peter and he's going to send me a free replacement in the new base as well as an Asian Pear splash that I'm paying for (didn't have one to go along with the soap). I'll pay shipping too as I'm happy with that. It's expensive to send stuff overseas and I'm getting a free soap alongside it.

Dr Watson

James
It does look like mould. Was it purchased from A&E UK? I know that soap base contains lard and so I suppose if stored incorrectly it will turn... General consensus is up to 6 months if kept at room temperature, if stacked near a radiator or in an overly warm environment, who knows?

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
It does look like mould. Was it purchased from A&E UK? I know that soap base contains lard and so I suppose if stored incorrectly it will turn... General consensus is up to 6 months if kept at room temperature, if stacked near a radiator or in an overly warm environment, who knows?
Yep it was. The thing is it didn’t arrive like that so if it is mould it must have been me not drying the soap properly, but I’ve never had that issue before. I always leave the soaps at least six hours if not longer. Makes me wonder if it’s more worth scraping some out to lather with.

Rasorium

Legendary Member
That looks bad and exactly what I’m trying to avoid. Hence my post about drying soaps. Good that you’re getting a replacement though!

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
That looks bad and exactly what I’m trying to avoid. Hence my post about drying soaps. Good that you’re getting a replacement though!
Where’s that post bud? Interested in reading it! This has definitely made me question drying and maybe even not wetting the actual puck anymore.

TobyC

Patriot
Where’s that post bud? Interested in reading it! This has definitely made me question drying and maybe even not wetting the actual puck anymore.