There's 'Mild', and then there's...

Steve Bowles

Forum GOD!
Bloody useless!
At least that's my experience with the first shave from an EJ DE89. I was looking for a cheap razor to take to the States next year, so I got a DE89. When it arrived, I thought, 'Well it looks nice. It's not very heavy, and the lines in the handle will give it some purchase with wet hands.'
I lathered up with some Haslinger Sheep's Milk tallow soap and readied myself for a nice comfortable shave. Comfortable it was; there was no blade feel whatsoever. In fact, I don't think the blade came into contact with any stubble at all. After two passes WTG, I rinsed my face and felt every bit unshaved as when I started. I'll give it another try with a Feather blade next time, but I can see why the call it a 'beginner's razor' -- there's no way in hell you're going to cut yourself (or your beard) with this razor. :meh:

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
The EJ89 isn't a "beginners' razor" it's recommended a lot because they work for the majority of people. Either there's something wrong with yours or your angle's off. IIRC and you're used to the PILS and AS-D2 you'll need a steeper angle with the EJ89.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Bloody useless!
At least that's my experience with the first shave from an EJ DE89. I was looking for a cheap razor to take to the States next year, so I got a DE89. When it arrived, I thought, 'Well it looks nice. It's not very heavy, and the lines in the handle will give it some purchase with wet hands.'
I lathered up with some Haslinger Sheep's Milk tallow soap and readied myself for a nice comfortable shave. Comfortable it was; there was no blade feel whatsoever. In fact, I don't think the blade came into contact with any stubble at all. After two passes WTG, I rinsed my face and felt every bit unshaved as when I started. I'll give it another try with a Feather blade next time, but I can see why the call it a 'beginner's razor' -- there's no way in hell you're going to cut yourself (or your beard) with this razor. :meh:
...it can be that some razors do not fit us and we need to find another that fits better. That said, I find the R89 (very similar if not identical to the EJ89 give or take a few grams) a well judged, balanced, smooth, razor that gives close, comfortable shaves. Indeed the more razors I have used over the years, the more I have come to admire the design of the R89 / EJ89 head; it is superb. It suits all blades I have tried and is one of those rare razors that amplify a particular blades characteristics. The chrome finishing is second to none and no SS razor, however much polished, will match the glide of that chrome against your skin. Consider sticking with it for a few weeks, it should only get better.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I am duly chastened. I will adjust my angle accordingly. The fact that I didn't feel any blade at all should have alerted me that my angle was wrong. I accept my ineptitude, gentlemen, and give the DE89 the respect it deserves. :notworthy:
...it was not my intention to chasten and I apologise if my post came across like that. Rather it is the post from someone who admires the R89 / EJ89 design. It also took me time to get the best from the razor. I think it really is a great razor worth getting to know. As mentioned previously though, sometimes we just do not get on with a particular razor and this may also be the case.

Dodgy vu

Guru
Hiya,

Long time ago I had tried a Muhle with that DE89 head and after a couple shaves it got moved along because of what was a poor fit for my face. It was a mild razor but still effective, however I preferred old Gillettes comfort wise.

About a month back I ran into a few EJ/Muhle razors and bought em for a good price, figuring I could try that head once again and see what happens. Well, it turns out that head is lots better that I thought......just took some extra tweaking is all. Who woulda thunk it!

Heh, now I gotta few more additions to the arsenal,

Martin

Steve Bowles

Forum GOD!
Hiya,

Long time ago I had tried a Muhle with that DE89 head and after a couple shaves it got moved along because of what was a poor fit for my face. It was a mild razor but still effective, however I preferred old Gillettes comfort wise.

About a month back I ran into a few EJ/Muhle razors and bought em for a good price, figuring I could try that head once again and see what happens. Well, it turns out that head is lots better that I thought......just took some extra tweaking is all. Who woulda thunk it!

Heh, now I gotta few more additions to the arsenal,

Martin
I'm sure if I go back through my old TSR posts, I'll find that this is a rare post from a fellow Yank that didn't take the mick out of our cousins. I miss that.

donnie_arko

Veteran
The EJ DE89 is a nice shaver, and definitely not as mild as some say. Put a blade in it next time. :D
Agree, I think it's a bit more on the efficient side of things and why it works really well for beginners as it's quite forgiving (usually) for finding an angle, whilst milder razors can have a very narrow window for finding the right angle.

The EJ89 style head has a good sweet spot and doesn't have too much blade exposure at the same time and works well with smoother blades as it does with sharper blades as well.