The Rant Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R181

Grumpy old man
The boss gave me a puzzled look and told me that the refrigerator warning light was on for the air filter to be replaced. I was equally puzzled as I have never heard of a refrigerator needing an air filter much less needing it replaced. Scanned the owners manual PDF and sure enough it had an air filter that needs replacing every six months. Interesting as we bought the new fridge 2 years ago and this is the first time the light has come on. Removed the cover to get at the replaceable filter and low and behold there wasn't one installed at the factory.

So we reset the warning light and replaced the filter cover as a filter obviously was not necessary to the operation of the fridge. The main purpose of the charcoal filter was odour control and some baking soda, if needed, would do that just fine at considerably less cost than 2 new filters a year costing about $30.00 a pop. Talk about a nice little money maker for the manufacturer! What a modern marvel.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
The boss gave me a puzzled look and told me that the refrigerator warning light was on for the air filter to be replaced. I was equally puzzled as I have never heard of a refrigerator needing an air filter much less needing it replaced. Scanned the owners manual PDF and sure enough it had an air filter that needs replacing every six months. Interesting as we bought the new fridge 2 years ago and this is the first time the light has come on. Removed the cover to get at the replaceable filter and low and behold there wasn't one installed at the factory.

So we reset the warning light and replaced the filter cover as a filter obviously was not necessary to the operation of the fridge. The main purpose of the charcoal filter was odour control and some baking soda, if needed, would do that just fine at considerably less cost than 2 new filters a year costing about $30.00 a pop. Talk about a nice little money maker for the manufacturer! What a modern marvel.

Bob
You bet. In our fridge we have to replace the air filter and water filter once a year at a total cost of $150. Didn’t know this when we bought it.:(:mad::ohmy::cursing:

R181

Grumpy old man
You bet. In our fridge we have to replace the air filter and water filter once a year at a total cost of $150. Didn’t know this when we bought it.:(:mad::ohmy::cursing:
Well, there is a water filter in our fridge also for the automatic ice cube maker. It will never get changed because we do not have the water hooked up as we don't need an ice cube maker and we have a jug of cold water in the fridge at all times. If I think we will need ice I'll throw a few old ice cube moulds in the freezer.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Well, there is a water filter in our fridge also for the automatic ice cube maker. It will never get changed because we do not have the water hooked up as we don't need an ice cube maker and we have a jug of cold water in the fridge at all times. If I think we will need ice I'll throw a few old ice cube moulds in the freezer.

Bob
Bob, I’m with you. If it were up to me I wouldn’t have water or an ice-maker in the fridge, but it’s SWMBO: happy wife, happy life. Both are a waste of money and are likely to break down.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I've just had a replace a fully-functional colour laser printer because it's an old one, HP haven't bothered to update the driver and the certificates have expired, which means that my computer no longer trusts the driver and refuses to talk to it. My first impulse was to curse Apple for not allowing invalid certificates for signing software before thinking about that and laying the blame firmly at HP's door, if you're going to sign your software keep the bloody certificates up to date!

The new one is not an HP, and supports AirPrint which is a bonus as I can now print from my phone and tablet.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I've just had a replace a fully-functional colour laser printer because it's an old one, HP haven't bothered to update the driver and the certificates have expired, which means that my computer no longer trusts the driver and refuses to talk to it. My first impulse was to curse Apple for not allowing invalid certificates for signing software before thinking about that and laying the blame firmly at HP's door, if you're going to sign your software keep the bloody certificates up to date!
Any chance you could've used CUPS drivers? Common on Linux, looks like it can work on a Mac too

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Any chance you could've used CUPS drivers? Common on Linux, looks like it can work on a Mac too
Possibly, I have had luck with CUPS in the past. TBH it being wifi-enabled and supporting AirPrint makes it a worthwhile upgrade I just dislike replacing stuff that works. Might see if I can get anything for it on Facebook subject to successful testing with a Windows machine.

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
Fizzy drink bottles. Why the hell can't they put a flat on the base so the wretched things will stand up without being on a perfectly flat surface? Drives me
scranny. :cursing:

steve

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
How mate?
I'll load the pics on here when they roofer sends me them. A cracked secret gutter, but roofer is 100% that it is not the cause. Appalling lead work, with screws and nails holding against the wall, loads of cracked "adhesive" with which they have tried to seal the lead, missing mortar... The roofer was quite shocked as to how bad it was hence he recommended I go back to Barratts and complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.