The Hone Type 15a...

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
@Looney12345 thanks, I have been playing with a 'blog' section to share some of the process because its been a challenge and I think it might be of interest to some. There was a lovely quote from Andy Palmer from Aston Martin the other day (I'm not comparing Hone with Aston for the record haha) but I did identify with this

"The cliche that you have to make six million cars a year to be successful in the motor industry is complete b*****s. Small can be beautiful, it gives you something the others can't have: the ability to know your customers in detail and the agility to make what they tell you they want."

I'll see :)
Love that quote and the blog idea sounds like a good one.... R.E your story, this link to an artisan soap maker over here in the UK is the kind of example I was referring to for a "back story" http://www.phoenixandbeau.uk/pages/why-phoenix-and-beau

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Has there been any work towards a more aggressive razor?
Loved the original (and the weight!) but it was just too mild

Hone

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Has there been any work towards a more aggressive razor?
Loved the original (and the weight!) but it was just too mild
Hi Holyzeus, the 15a has a more aggressive feel and function, I still don't think as a razor it qualifies as aggressive, but it is not as mild as the brass 15 either :)

I will make a more aggressive razor, but that will likely get its own version number to differentiate it from the 15 range.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
It was an absolute pleasure to be part of the test group using the prototype of these T15a razors. My first shave went something like this:

I couldn't decide between the Cobra and the T15A, so I used both :wink:
Cobra for right side and T15A for left.
I also had a sample of Darrons V2 soap to try out too.

• Super Smooth V2 Garden Mint
  • RazorRock Barber Plissoft
  • Hone T15A
  • Platinum Lux [1]
  • Cobra Classic
  • Feather Pro [3]
  • 4711 EdC
  • Boss Soul EdT

1st pass no difference in stubble removal, the Cobra very slightly quicker being wider, but rougher too. T15A very smoothly done.
2nd pass, again not much in it, but for me the T15a side is ever so slightly smoother.
3 pass I've got to call it a draw as it was too close..
4 pass touch up. T15A is more nimble and I found it easier to smooth off the bits I'd missed.
No weepers anywhere.
More AS sting with the Cobra - next to naf all with the T15a :cool:

So, the T15A is definitely more aggressive than the T15. But, it is still SUPER smooth, being (far far) lighter it is also easier to use. It never felt like it would bite. It is NOT rough and scratchy like the Standard.
There is no dragging like I get with the T15 (like the brass sticks to your skin - hard to describe!)
This is probably the BEST DE shave I have had for quite a while!

This shave was back in June

Darkbulb

Member #10
I was one of the lucky people that had the opportunity to test a pre-production model of the razor.
Now, I'm the kind of guy that normally go for heavy, aggressive OC stainless steel razors if I have a choice so testing this razor was interesting to me as I might in a way represent a group of people that wouldn't normally consider a razor such as the Hone 15a.

Below are photos and snippets of honest feedback that I provided to Andrew during the testing phase.
Nothing has been changed or added - just cut out some rambling parts.

(The razor I'm showing is the black w/ 100mm handle)

Enjoy...I hope:

Hone 15a Feedback

First, immediate impressions:
- Loving the long handle
- Very even and attractive, matte finish
- I'm normally not a big fan of writing/logo on the topcap - but it works here,
- It is lightweight - to no surprise.

It can be tricky to have black razors stand out as often the finer details are hard to capture in photos but I think the Hone 15A does a good job distinguishing itself;

Shave report #1 (Darkbulb)

Loading the blade was uneventful (as in 'good').
Theblade alignment was spot on and the handle and head comes apart without any grinding or difficulties. Solid machining.

I used a Rapira blade that already had been used twice (technically that shouldn't be an issue as I tend to get 3-4 good uses out of a blade).

WTG pass:
Mild.
I am really loving the length of the handle and the thickness of it. I know it's partly perception but that makes the razor feel more 'substantial' and I caught myself forgetting that it was an aluminium razor I was using and not one of regular SS beasts.
Not a lot of audible feedback.

ATG pass:
I feel as if I have to deliberately move the head closer to my face. The lack of weight in general..or maybe how it's distributed across the razor. Not sure.
Maybe I also should have used a fresh blade. Having issues getting the area above my lip/around my nose clean shaved. Maybe the blade?

Ye olde finger-balancing:

The Good:
* Love the look and size of the razor. Easy to navigate yet feeling substantial.
* Gave a very nice, close, clean shave on my cheeks and neck.
* It's a mild yet rather efficient razor (see below as well)

The "I need to try it more":
* Difficulty getting a clean shave above my upper lip/around the nose
(Will try with a fresh blade next shave)

A few days passed...and I used the razor for a second time....

Shave report #2 (Darkbulb)

Decided to switch it up quite a bit in the blade department today.

Today I loaded a fresh Feather blade into the Hone 15A.

Proceeded with the shave and the same feeling of 'mildness' immediately came back to mind. Now, mild is not bad - as long as it's efficient I have no problem at all with a mild razor as I value the result almost more than the shave sensation in some cases.

Great results on the cheeks and neck. No real fear of the razor biting.

ATG:
Good results on cheeks and neck. Razor felt smooth and mild.
Then came the dreaded trouble-spot: above the upper lip.
I spent a good two minutes alternating ATG and XTG strokes but was still not able to get a completely clean shave in this area. I stopped as I didn't want to risk any razor burns.
This is one of the two areas (under the chin as well) where I sometimes see razors (or me as it may be) struggle.

Now, do take into account;
- I normally don't use light weight razors apart from my old carts,
- I tend to favor aggressive razors

So it's quite possible that I've adopted a shaving technique that places this razor in an unfavorable position.
I'll be most curious to see how this impression may change with more use - and maybe me re-programming my technique.

...a few more days passes and...

Shave report #3 (Darkbulb)

Committed to seeing if it's "the razor, me or something else" I this morning pulled out a fresh Astra SP blade (it's, to me, a good average blade that handles any razor pretty well). I should had done this already from the first shave...

Same initial reactions in the den when seeing and picking up the razor: great look and feel to it. The subtle softness of the design lines are also really starting to grow on me. Initially I felt it almost had a feminine look to it but after using and seeing it more I think 'elegant' is more appropriate.

Lathered up some Catie's Bubbles soap using an old and rather floppy Vulfix brush and got to it.

During the shave:

I am noticing that I have 'forgotten' about the head needing more weight. I assume I have adopted to the lighter weight already.

And now we're at the crucial point..the above the upper lip area.

During the initial few strokes I am once again reminded that the razor 'sounds' different in this area. A louder higher pitched sound. Actually that there is any sound is a difference as it's a pretty quiet razor.
Hm. The same amount of stubble remains.

I re-lather and decide to play around more with the razor head angle and there is it.
The heavenly doors open and an angelic choir (mostly trumpets really) salutes the fruit of my labour: I have..a perfectly smooth and cleanly shaved upper lip area.

So what did I change?
The angle. By adjusting to a very, very shallow angle (basically riding the top tap) it all came together and the whiskers gave away for the mighty Hone 15A.
Almost using it in the same way as I do with the Blackbird.

Interesting thing is that I've so far used the pretty standard 30ish degree angle when shaving my face and neck and that have resulted in a very passable shave.
Next time I'll try to adopt this angle for the entire shave and see what happens.

Very happy to be 100% clean shaved and it might, as much as I hate to say so, have been me and not the razor :wink:

Final notes:
Subsequent shaves continued to be as good as the last one - after I dialed in the razor for the area under my nose I had no problem getting a clean shave there. I'm surprising myself in how much I am enjoying this razor - let's put it this way: I am currently looking at buying a second razor from Hone.

Hone

Forum GOD!
Artisan
@Darkbulb That was a great and thorough review. I love the journey feel to the feedback; discovering the particulars of the razor. I think that sums up getting a new razor and working out the quirks. Thank you for taking the time to make such great images and write so much.

I'm pleased that although it was lighter than your preference it managed to deliver a good result for you. :) Thank you.

Darkbulb

Member #10
@Darkbulb That was a great and thorough review. I love the journey feel to the feedback; discovering the particulars of the razor. I think that sums up getting a new razor and working out the quirks. Thank you for taking the time to make such great images and write so much.

I'm pleased that although it was lighter than your preference it managed to deliver a good result for you. :) Thank you.
In the end it was 'great' - not 'good' :wink:
Well done on this razor Andrew