The Goodfella's Smile Reviews

Boycie83

Space Cadet
There's not much out there on these soaps so thought it worthwhile starting a thread that provides some feedback on them. I've been making some basic notes as I've worked my way through my collection. Using either the discount codes for vendors or adding these to my Amazon Subscribe and Save, I've never paid more than £9 for one of these soaps and as low as £6 in some cases. I think these are a real bargain.

I'm no expert but I'd say the lather has been consistent across all of these. It bursts in to life easily and doesn't require a lot of water (I live in a soft water area). A 15 second load has always provided enough for >3 passes and is stable for the duration of the shave.

Scents (caveat - this isn't my forte):

Amber Fougere - A really nice and unique take Fougere. I think this is probably their most unique offering in terms of scent.

Sea Citrus - A sharp combination of marine scents with a citrus kick. The 'kick' has a sharp lemon undertone to it.

Abysso - I don't know what I was expecting from this scent but it wasn't this. A deep marine and cologne scent. I really like this one. Of the two marine based scents, I prefer this to Sea Citrus. Awesome graphics.

Stardust - A floral scent with a citrus rear. Once lathered, the citrus mellows leaving the floral (powdery floral) smell. It's nice but I found the scent from the lather had mostly gone by the time I was on to my third stroke of the razor.

Savage - A strong cologne scent from the tub that mellows in to a really pleasant and modern smell. I'm not sophisticated enough to describe the scent but those that like the 3T cologne based offerings should like this.

Inferno - I believe (I know - I bought it) my youngest will give this to me for Christmas. I'll add my findings to this thread once I've used it.

IMG_20191211_210013.jpg

IMG_20191211_210043.jpg

D

Deleted member 1881

What about slickness and performance?

I have the Savage and I was impressed. Didn't see that coming, the protection was way above average and residual slickness, a bomb. I paid nothing for it, it was a gift for a review from my local shaving store.

He asked for Randy's review, I couldn't disappoint him and I told him my thoughts.

I would pay to buy one, though. Good stuff, nice presentation too.

Edit: The only brush that was comfortable for me to load was the Semogue 620.
Also, when I received it, it was like a grainy scrub cream, when I stored it for a year or so, it hardened and holded well for many shaves. I may manage to end it up, in another life or so @Rowlers

Last edited by a moderator:

Boycie83

Space Cadet
What about slickness and performance?

I have the Savage and I was impressed. Didn't see that coming, the protection was way above average and residual slickness, a bomb. I paid nothing for it, it was a gift for a review from my local shaving store.

He asked for Randy's review, I couldn't disappoint him and I told him my thoughts.

I would pay to buy one, though. Good stuff, nice presentation too.

Edit: The only brush that was comfortable for me to load was the Semogue 620.
Also, when I received it, it was like a grainy scrub cream, when I stored it for a year or so, it hardened and holded well for many shaves. I may manage to end it up, in another life or so @Rowlers
Good slickness from the lather from all soaps. Maybe it's my bias towards the scents but the slickness from Abysso and Savage was potentially the best?

As for residual slickness / post shave feel, I don't really get this as a concept generally. As long as the lather is slick and doesn't leave my skin feeling dry, I'm happy. I've never felt the want to walk away from a shave feeling like a plasterer's radio. I use aftershave immediately after a cold rinse followed by ASB a few minutes later. If residual slickness can be defined as a bit of slipperiness left after a stroke that means you can get away with another stroke in the same area immediately after, yes this has it.

D

Deleted member 1881

Good slickness from the lather from all soaps. Maybe it's my bias towards the scents but the slickness from Abysso and Savage was potentially the best?

As for residual slickness / post shave feel, I don't really get this as a concept generally. As long as the lather is slick and doesn't leave my skin feeling dry, I'm happy. I've never felt the want to walk away from a shave feeling like a plasterer's radio. I use aftershave immediately after a cold rinse followed by ASB a few minutes later. If residual slickness can be defined as a bit of slipperiness left after a stroke that means you can get away with another stroke in the same area immediately after, yes this has it.
Yes, this is residual slickness to me. Maybe for 2 or 3 quick strokes without lather.

The fact that it contains Shea Butter seems very nice to me.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
I've finally used it!

Inferno - There's a sweet top note to this soap that's underpinned by a dark woodsy and leather smell. It's a nice combination. Masculine and a good winter scent. My wife was nonplussed with it though. Interestingly the lather performance wasn't as great as the previous soaps. The required slickness was there for all 3 passes but there was a gradual drop in performance across those passes. Seems to have a tighter tolerance band for water.

IMG_20200229_204928.jpg

Wayne

Forum Sod
The same package from us would be £18.10 delivered, as against £20.65, why do people not support UK business?
Most probably because they do not know you stock it, sometimes you need to promote your business and what you offer a little more, you are in the perfect place to do it so why not shout out what you have to offer from the rooftops. People will gladly support British business if they know they exist.

D

Deleted member 1881

The same package from us would be £18.10 delivered, as against £20.65, why do people not support UK business?
Can you ship alcohol in Europe?
I would definitely get something in the right price from member here that has a store.

Wayne is right, some promotions here would help.

D

Deleted member 1881

I've finally used it!

Inferno - There's a sweet top note to this soap that's underpinned by a dark woodsy and leather smell. It's a nice combination. Masculine and a good winter scent. My wife was nonplussed with it though. Interestingly the lather performance wasn't as great as the previous soaps. The required slickness was there for all 3 passes but there was a gradual drop in performance across those passes. Seems to have a tighter tolerance band for water.

View attachment 63965
Chris, which were the other ones you tried? I thought this one with the tallow would be better than the others.